XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not yet 1 day old and dont get me wrong the car is great but maybe after driving german cars for the past 25 years I am critical or maybe its because I am getting on a bit.

First thing the ambiance lightling in the passenger door armrest is not working, anyone else have this problem, I thought I may be able to do something with settings but no.

Second there is tyre noise, worse at low speeds but I can live with that.

Third there is quite a turbo lag again worse at low speeds, not being a speeder I can also live with that.

I would still rather have this car than any other so dont be put off any of you that are still waiting.

I am off to read the manual (after I wash the car).

gary

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The 18' Dunlops on my XF seem quiet after the 18' Pirellis P Zeros which were on my XKR, however, there is an issue with the front door seals which could be letting in more external tyre noise than they should.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
garyxf said:
Its not yet 1 day old and dont get me wrong the car is great but maybe after driving german cars for the past 25 years I am critical or maybe its because I am getting on a bit.

First thing the ambiance lightling in the passenger door armrest is not working, anyone else have this problem, I thought I may be able to do something with settings but no.

Second there is tyre noise, worse at low speeds but I can live with that.

Third there is quite a turbo lag again worse at low speeds, not being a speeder I can also live with that.

I would still rather have this car than any other so dont be put off any of you that are still waiting.

I am off to read the manual (after I wash the car).

gary
I would just run in to a Jaguar Service Centre, anyone, and ask them to look at it. It is entirely possible that a fix will be done there and then. In my experience the dealers are "reaching for the top brick on the chimney" for XF owners; it may be a Jaguar inspired instruction. Certainly I have had excellent service from Stratstone in a emergency. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forget the tyre noise its sounds like that but when you take your foot off of the accelerator it stops so I reckon its some sort of resonance not bad but spoils what would be totally quiet ride. Problem is I never got to test drive the 2.7 only the 3.0 so it might be normal for diesel. Any ideas or should I flag it up with the dealer. Apart from me being ultra critical the car is tops.

gary

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
garyxf said:
Forget the tyre noise its sounds like that but when you take your foot off of the accelerator it stops so I reckon its some sort of resonance not bad but spoils what would be totally quiet ride. Problem is I never got to test drive the 2.7 only the 3.0 so it might be normal for diesel. Any ideas or should I flag it up with the dealer. Apart from me being ultra critical the car is tops.

gary
Well there is your starting point; test drive a 2.7 I am sure if you explain your position they, your nearest dealer, will be happy to oblige. After all, they may think that they will get you as a service customer ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gary,

You seem to have suffered similar issues as me. I noticed the non-functioning mood lighing in the passenger door once I got the car home - Jaguar have now fixed this. As regards the turbo lag; mine feels like the accelerator is mis-set as I have to push the pedal a significant distance before I get a response - I have not had this checked out yet. As regards the road noise; mine seems to suffer the pedal vibration at low speeds which has been discussed already on the forum - again I have yet to have this checked out.

I need to take a trip to the local dealer as my bootlid now sticks when opening and is stratching the plastic surround because of this. I'm sure this is a minor adjustment but cannot see exactly how to do this myself.

Apart from these issues, I think the car is fantastic and glad I took the plunge.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
PLidds said:
Gary,

You seem to have suffered similar issues as me. I noticed the non-functioning mood lighing in the passenger door once I got the car home - Jaguar have now fixed this. As regards the turbo lag; mine feels like the accelerator is mis-set as I have to push the pedal a significant distance before I get a response - I have not had this checked out yet. As regards the road noise; mine seems to suffer the pedal vibration at low speeds which has been discussed already on the forum - again I have yet to have this checked out.

I need to take a trip to the local dealer as my bootlid now sticks when opening and is stratching the plastic surround because of this. I'm sure this is a minor adjustment but cannot see exactly how to do this myself.

Apart from these issues, I think the car is fantastic and glad I took the plunge.
That's good news :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke to my local dealer they said they will fix the light but when I asked him about the noise he said its normal, but today when taking my son and girl friend to the airport (his first trip in the car) he said "whats that noise I thought you said it was a quiet car", now he has made me paranoid. Just how quiet is the diesel?

gary

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
garyxf said:
I spoke to my local dealer they said they will fix the light but when I asked him about the noise he said its normal, but today when taking my son and girl friend to the airport (his first trip in the car) he said "whats that noise I thought you said it was a quiet car", now he has made me paranoid. Just how quiet is the diesel?
gary
Of course we can't know how your car sounds and quite what you expect. It is a pity that you did not have a test drive, or did you :?: I have carried a number of people in my car, the last being a driver of a Rolls Royce. All have agreed that it would not cross their mind that they were in a diesel car :!:

·
Administrator
433 Posts
I've had a number of comments about how quiet the car is and people are surprised when I tell them its a diesel.

Personally I find it does sound "dieslly" (new word coined :) ) on start up but after a minute very smooth and quiet

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
XF Admin said:
I've had a number of comments about how quiet the car is and people are surprised when I tell them its a diesel.

Personally I find it does sound "dieslly" (new word coined :) ) on start up but after a minute very smooth and quiet
The noise is not a diesel noise it sounds more like tyre rumble or low turbine whine that gets higher pitched as your speed increases. it alos increases in volume as you go faster but stops when you take your foot off the gas (that knocks out wind noise through the seals), it is fairly loud and appears to be louder than on the first day it only has 311 miles on the clock, just want to get it sorted, booking it in for next week. Also booking a drive in another 2,7 while Im there.

gary

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
garyxf said:
XF Admin said:

The noise is not a diesel noise it sounds more like tyre rumble or low turbine whine that gets higher pitched as your speed increases. it alos increases in volume as you go faster but stops when you take your foot off the gas (that knocks out wind noise through the seals), it is fairly loud and appears to be louder than on the first day it only has 311 miles on the clock, just want to get it sorted, booking it in for next week. Also booking a drive in another 2,7 while Im there.

gary
On that basis , I would say that there is a matter which requires attention and I hope it is resolved very quickly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Told by dealer this morning that because I also have an electrical problem (light) they can not estimate time so I will need a car therefore earliest booking in is 11 Aug 08, also booked a drive in a 2,7 although at the moment they have sold their diesel demo same as when I tried to get a test drive, and I thought MB were the pits.

gary

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
garyxf said:
Told by dealer this morning that because I also have an electrical problem (light) they can not estimate time so I will need a car therefore earliest booking in is 11 Aug 08, also booked a drive in a 2,7 although at the moment they have sold their diesel demo same as when I tried to get a test drive, and I thought MB were the pits.

gary
Of course we don't know exactly where you are and which dealer you are talking to but I would consider another dealer; there are a couple in South Wales, albeit the same group. These Service Centres do want your business and just because one falls below your expectation it does not follow that they all will. I know it is a pain but you really need to get the matter resolved so that you can enjoy your XF :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pekem said:
garyxf said:

gary
Of course we don't know exactly where you are and which dealer you are talking to but I would consider another dealer; there are a couple in South Wales, albeit the same group. These Service Centres do want your business and just because one falls below your expectation it does not follow that they all will. I know it is a pain but you really need to get the matter resolved so that you can enjoy your XF :)
The dealership itself has a nice small family feel about it and I can not speak to highly of the sales staff during my test drive, I had no option but to buy my car over 200 miles away and will use the local dealer for all other business,although they did appear on local TV watchdog type programme for poor customer service, we will see how things pan out.

gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts