XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I bought an 09 Jaguar XF yesterday and when I got it home I started it up and it was stuck in 2nd gear and would only limp to nearby car park, when I went to try start the car again there is nothing, dash lights and such come on but won't turn over, any ideas why as I'm useless with cars??

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take it back to the garage you bought it from.
They have are legally obliged to fix it
I've spoke to the guy he was more than helpful, said they will fix it 100% just wondered if anybody knew why it happened, from what I've read seem like it may be a issue with the battery, fingers crossed anyway

·
Registered
5 Posts
Possibly, even probably
But if you don’t plug in a code reader, you will never know for sure (way of the world now!)
Best to get the garage to fix it. He should tell you anyway

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out my key had lost charge, there is a charging port right hand side under the steering column where key needs plugging in to every now and then. Never even knew it was there, neither did the garage I bought it off!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Turns out my key had lost charge, there is a charging port right hand side under the steering column where key needs plugging in to every now and then.
I don't think thaere's a charging port on the XF. I think you've found:

"KEYLESS START BACKUP
If the vehicle has been unlocked using the emergency key blade or the Smart Key is not detected by the vehicle, it will be necessary to use the keyless start backup to disarm the alarm and start the engine.

The keyless start backup can only be used when the message Smart Key Not Found - Refer to Handbook is displayed in the message centre.

1.Position the Smart Key flat against the fascia below the auxiliary switch pack in the position shown.

2. Firmly depress the brake pedal.

3.Press and release the engine START/STOP button.

Once the engine has started, the brake pedal can be released if it is safe to do so.

If the Smart Key is not recognised, or the engine still fails to start, consult a Dealer/Authorised Repairer."

Hopefully this means a new key fob battery will sort the problem. Tho' the symptoms as you described them didn't sound like a dead key fob battery. I'm still a little puzzled by that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts