: Smart key malfunction

William
27-05-15, 19:48
Suddenly both my smart keys are no longer being read by my 2009 XF Jaguar. I have checked both smart key batteries(2032) and are reading 3V. The only way I can start the car is by inserting the smart key in the docking station and it will run fine. I longer can lock the car. I have had broken wires in the wire harness in the trunk lid and made the repairs myself. Is there a possibility that there could be another broken wire that would cause this problem?

jagular
02-06-15, 02:13
Unless replacement case backs have been fitted to your fobs most likely this is the cause. The original back pieces provided inadequate pressure on the battery resulting in poor performance. The innards of the fobs are transferred to new cases and the cost is low. No reprogramming is needed.

The reason they work in the dock is there is a receiver right there which can respond to a very low signal from the fob.

William
02-06-15, 13:15
Unless replacement case backs have been fitted to your fobs most likely this is the cause. The original back pieces provided inadequate pressure on the battery resulting in poor performance. The innards of the fobs are transferred to new cases and the cost is low. No reprogramming is needed.

The reason they work in the dock is there is a receiver right there which can respond to a very low signal from the fob.

I don't agree as both fobs failed on the same day. Since then I have disassembled the fobs and tightened the silver prongs so as to make a more secure connection to the batteries to no avail. But thank you for your input. I do believe the receiver may have to be reprogrammed for some reason. I have an appointment with the Jaguar dealer on 6/11 as this was the soonest they would schedule me. It is Piehler in Rochester, NY a good 2 hours drive away. Thank you.

jagular
02-06-15, 19:27
Your central locking doesn't operate from either fob?

How about global open and close?

I don't know what it is about replacing the fob backs that works but it seems to.

If your engine starts then the ECU can read the code in the fob. Anti theft programming means the ECU won't allow the engine to start of it can't read the code in the fob.

William
02-06-15, 20:05
Your central locking doesn't operate from either fob?

How about global open and close?

I don't know what it is about replacing the fob backs that works but it seems to.

If your engine starts then the ECU can read the code in the fob. Anti theft programming means the ECU won't allow the engine to start of it can't read the code in the fob.

The 2 fobs have absolutely no functions whatsoever. However I can start the car by docking either fob. Wierd huh?
Thanks again for your reply.

William
02-06-15, 20:08
P.S. Even with this somewhat annoying problem, I still love my Jaguar.

nigely
02-06-15, 21:41
My car occasionally asks for the fob to be put in the dock, normally after I have had to open the doors with the fob because the door buttons won't work. My fob works 9 times out of 10.

jagular
02-06-15, 22:43
My car occasionally asks for the fob to be put in the dock, normally after I have had to open the doors with the fob because the door buttons won't work. My fob works 9 times out of 10.

What year is your car? The design of the fob was changed for the later model cars and it has been trouble free. Not sure when the changeover occurred. The Jaguar now uses a Land Rover/Range Rover fob.

William
03-06-15, 12:55
What year is your car? The design of the fob was changed for the later model cars and it has been trouble free. Not sure when the changeover occurred. The Jaguar now uses a Land Rover/Range Rover fob.
My car is a 2009 XF actually purchased in 5/08. Both fobs failed on the same day. One was with me at the vacation cottage and the other one was 50 miles away at my home. So it has to be an internal problem with the on board receiver. Thanks for your input.

jagular
03-06-15, 13:20
You'll be the first with that fault so make sure you post the fix.

also, when was the car battery last replaced?

William
03-06-15, 14:31
The battery is still the original and no problems with it. Cranking power is still excellent. If it was the battery causing the problem then the smart key would function with the motor running as the alternator then is supplying full power. Yes I will post the fix. I have an appointment 6/11/15 with the Jaguar dealer.

jagular
03-06-15, 23:36
Well, that battery is going on 8 years old and 5 years is a good life for a modern battery. Reason I ask is when my fobs started acting up during year four of the warranty they replaced the car battery at the same time as they updated the fob backs. I don't know what the connection might have been but both were then warranty items at Jaguar's expense so presumably necessary.

I am now intrigued as to what the fault in your car might be.

A battery can still start the car but be almost toast. We find this out on either a very hot day when the battery just dies or a very cold day when the battery still shows life but cannot start the engine. In the UK you never get either climatic effect so your batteries seem to stay healthy for longer, but that is actually an illusion. Ask your service shop to "load test" your battery, or better yet test it with a new computerized battery tester which will reveal the actual condition of your battery.

nigely
04-06-15, 12:56
Hi my car is a late 2012 portfolio s diesel 35000 miles

jagular
04-06-15, 13:18
Hi my car is a late 2012 portfolio s diesel 35000 miles

Do you have the later style fob?

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/attachments/xk-xkr-x150-33/72121d1392158864-2014-jaguar-smart-key-new-key-fob-2013.jpg

jagular
04-06-15, 13:19
This is the older style which was known to have a faulty case originally.

http://www.xjkltd.co.uk/images/cached/product/xxl/38874890_1899056487.JPG

William
04-06-15, 13:33
Well, that battery is going on 8 years old and 5 years is a good life for a modern battery. Reason I ask is when my fobs started acting up during year four of the warranty they replaced the car battery at the same time as they updated the fob backs. I don't know what the connection might have been but both were then warranty items at Jaguar's expense so presumably necessary.

I am now intrigued as to what the fault in your car might be.

A battery can still start the car but be almost toast. We find this out on either a very hot day when the battery just dies or a very cold day when the battery still shows life but cannot start the engine. In the UK you never get either climatic effect so your batteries seem to stay healthy for longer, but that is actually an illusion. Ask your service shop to "load test" your battery, or better yet test it with a new computerized battery tester which will reveal the actual condition of your battery.

AHA ! I am going over to a battery store later this morning and have them load test it. I will let you know the results. Normally batteries will last me 9-12 yrs as I do take care of them by always checking the water levels. My current boat battery is in its 10th year but of course it doesn't get the usage a car battery does even though it has to crank a 5.7 liter engine. Thanks again for your input.

nigely
04-06-15, 13:37
I have the older shape fob.

William
04-06-15, 13:42
That's the style fob I have. But I still cannot believe that both fobs went bad on the same day with no problems at all before this.

William
04-06-15, 15:00
Ok went to the battery store and they put a computerized tester on the battery and it showed 934 cold cranking amps. So no need to replace the battery yet. Will let you know what the Jaguar dealership finds on 6/11/15. Stay tuned.
Thanks again for all your replies.

Bik3rz
04-06-15, 15:35
Ok went to the battery store and they put a computerized tester on the battery and it showed 934 cold cranking amps. So no need to replace the battery yet. Will let you know what the Jaguar dealership finds on 6/11/15. Stay tuned.
still 934cca after 10y?wow, what was it originally?

William
04-06-15, 18:57
still 934cca after 10y?wow, what was it originally?

Actually its only in its 8th year but I don't know what the original Jaguar battery was rated at. Bought the car in May of 2008, it is a 2009 model XF. As I said before batteries have always lasted me a long time. So have my brakes, usually get over 90,000 miles on them except for this car where I had to replace the rear brakes at about 50,000 miles. wierd. First set of brakes I have had to replace in over 25 yrs and I always keep my cars for over 90,000 miles.

jagular
04-06-15, 23:54

Excellent news. The original battery on my 1991 Alfa Romeo 164 (an American made AC Delco light truck battery, ginormous and in the boot) lasted 11 years and the replacement also lasted 10 years. It's on its third battery at 24 years old. On my turbo SAAB's and my Turbo Audi batteries die about every 5-6 years regardless of mileage.

Heat kills batteries then the cold demonstrates their weakness. After 5 years a load test is warranted whenever electrical faults are suspected.

Bik3rz
05-06-15, 05:29
Excellent news. The original battery on my 1991 Alfa Romeo 164 (an American made AC Delco light truck battery, ginormous and in the boot) lasted 11 years and the replacement also lasted 10 years. It's on its third battery at 24 years old. On my turbo SAAB's and my Turbo Audi batteries die about every 5-6 years regardless of mileage.

Heat kills batteries then the cold demonstrates their weakness. After 5 years a load test is warranted whenever electrical faults are suspected.
got original battery on my s60 - over 12 years now, still going but think it might not survive another winter :)

William
17-06-15, 13:16
Suddenly both my smart keys are no longer being read by my 2009 XF Jaguar. I have checked both smart key batteries(2032) and are reading 3V. The only way I can start the car is by inserting the smart key in the docking station and it will run fine. I longer can lock the car. I have had broken wires in the wire harness in the trunk lid and made the repairs myself. Is there a possibility that there could be another broken wire that would cause this problem?

Ok, went to the Jaguar dealership on 6/11/15 and they determined it was the smart key module control that failed. Ordered the new module and everything works just fine again except for my pocketbook that is now emptied of $503.41. I wasn't able to pickup the car until 6/16/15 morning. In the meantime they supplied me with a brand new Chevrolet Cruze which isn't a bad car at all. Not as sumptuous as my Jag but decent. High mileage results averaging 35 mpg at 73 mph.

jagular
17-06-15, 13:24
LHD Cruze I assume. That's just an Opel/Vauxhall Astra and indeed isn't bad to drive at all.

Failure of the smart key module is pretty much unheard of.

nigely
18-06-15, 21:14
Getting back on topic, my key has been getting worse over the last week so yesterday I changed the battery in it and now all seems to be fine, so touch wood no more problems.