The knock on effect.
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The knock on effect.

If we are to believe the reasoning behind the delay of the baby Jag, esentially that the dimensions/spec would make it too close to the XF so the XF has to be revamped first to save it from being killed off. Would that not then push the XF closer to the XJ and potentially kill that off.
    I have a feeling that the new (Next Gen) XF is going to be pushed out of my reach, i.e. a substantial price hike to match the increase in size/spec, but may leave a very large gap between the baby Jag and the XF in pricing.
    If I was to liken it to Audi or Mercedes for instance then currently the XF is percieved to compete with the A6 and E-Class respectively.
    In the future it may rise into the neiche markets of the A7 and CLS, so what then competes with the A6 and E-Class if the baby Jag is to compete with the likes of say the A4 or C-Class.
    Its a balancing act that I don't envy, hats off to Jaguar if they can pull it off.

James.
    XF 3.0D L, MY2012, Vapour Grey, 18" Vela's

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

jcf1966
    I know what you mean, but remember that they have the 2.2 and this is aimed at the company car market so can not have a large price increase.

Wishing you well

James

Hi jcf, I completely agree with what you say, its difficult to imagine how you would push the XF further up its market segment to make way for a smaller model, not impact on the XJ in the process and still retain a reasonable price for say the 2.2 SE base spec model.
    I really don't think the XF has to change in size or spec at all to allow a smaller model into the fray, take the new BMW 3 series for example (the model a smaller Jag would compete with) that is still over 300mm smaller than the current XF. I think the trick with the next gen XF (and I believe this has been mentioned in another thread) is to make the platform easily adaptable to variations, already begun by bringing out the Sportbrake but taken even further. I'll use Mercedes again as an example of this with the E-Class Saloon, Touring (estate), Coupe and Cabriolet (just make sure you give the XF a folding metal roof).

James.

Gemset
    Surely if anyone wanted a bigger XF they would just buy an XJ! The XF is already a big car & making it any bigger could risk sales in the UK. I wouldn't buy one if it was any bigger as this one barely fits in a standard parking bay.

Not only that but if I put mine in my garage then I can't close the door.

John
    John, Jaguar XF 3.0D S Luxury, Liquid Silver, Charcoal, Piano Black

The markets have been well established by the key players and it would be foolish for Jaguar to move into niche areas by enlarging the XF and, besides, I already extended my garage to accommodate my XF and don't want to do it again

If the XF grew, I reckon most of us would downsize to the forthcoming 'baby' Jag, which again would be pointless from a marketing perspective. Jaguar need to capitalise on existing markets, not create their own.

JT Adams, have you any evidence that the XF may grow and that the 'baby' Jag will be a 'bruiser', or is it just a nagging suspicion

Here is the Autocar website link:
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...by-jag-wait-xf
    It details certain statements from Adrian Hallmark regarding switching development of the small Jag to the next gen XF, however its Autocar themselves that talk about vehicle dimensions.
    What I'm really struggling with is why Jaguar see the need to change the XF to allow a smaller model into the range, the only reasoning I can come up with is technology and construction methods/materials, i.e. the car on the outside wouldn't really change apart from probably a more substantial facelift like we recently had. It would be under the skin that would be all new, aluminium construction, drivetrains and engine variants.

James

Thanks for that link James

I believe Autocar's speculation is codswallop. The present 5 Series/ E Class and A6 are all currently shorter than the existing XF so lengthening the XF would begin to take it out of the market, which is silly.
    This is good news because I don't much like Autocar's vision of the new 'baby' Jag. I've seen Toyotas with more presence

Agreed JTAdams. I love my XF but it's already a big car dimensionally. When I change it I'd be looking for a smaller '3 series' equivalent, bearing in mind that each successive model gets larger.

Next time I'm looking for a more compact car that's easier to throw around country roads, but have all the style, 'pace, grace and space' of the wonderful XF.
    Over to you Mr. Callum.

Gemset
    It may make sense to make the next XF slightly shorter & create a bit of a gap to the XJ. You never know it may improve both XJ & XF sales in the UK. In the case of the XF, I suspect there are some potential UK buyers for who it is just too big to be an option. The fact that it won't fit in a standard UK garage must cost some sales.

Now that the 3 series has increased in size there is a gap for a small premium saloon along the lines of the Lexus IS. It's most unusual for BMW to leave a gap in the market, but the step from 1 series to 3 series is quite big & begging to be filled.