XF Forum banner

Fuel consumption on a 2.7

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Philocd 
#1 ·
Can I pick your brains.....? I drive my 2.7 auto like miss daisy and I’m only getting 37mph. Is this about right or is the gauge not that reliable? I say this because on my Rover 75 manual V6 2.5 (petrol) I was getting a consistent 36mph.

I thought with a diesel with similar size engine it would return a bit more than a petrol almost equivalent. I don’t hit any traffic because I go to work and come home both before and after rush hour.

I’m a bit confused 🤷‍♂️

Kev

#5 ·
I would not view 15 or 25 mile trips as being particularly long journeys. (They would almost count as around the houses for me).
I have posted this a couple of times recently, but just in case you missed it:

My wife and I live about 100 km north of Paris, and we make frequent round trips to a place we have in Spain. The distance between the two places is 1605 +/- km.
The trip is mostly clear motorway driving, 94%, with 879 km in France and 632 km in Spain.
I set the cruise control at 140 kmh (87 mph) in France and 130 kmh (81 mph) in Spain, so I am not exactly hanging around.
On each trip, for the total distance, my consumption comes in at just over 50 mpg.

If you are concerned about your consumption figures, set your trip to show the "instantaneous" consumption figures, and try to film it with your smart phone, when you drive to work. You might be surprised at how bad the consumption is at the start, and how much better it is when you get closer to work.

Th bottom line is that diesel engines can be very economical, but on short trips you are not likely get much better than a petrol engine. On the contrary, if you do too many short trips, you will run into DPF regen issues.

#4 ·
My S-Type averaged 24 mpg. My 2,7 XF averaged 34mpg followed by my 3,00 XF which was about the same and my 2,2 XF improved to a little over 40 mpg.
It’s a Jaguar and what you are getting is in line I imagine with most others.
Take it on a long motorway journey and the consumption will improve, my 2,2 exceeded 50mpg on a trip from London to Scotland but there is no prospect of a Jaguar, a car weighing over two tons, ever being a low sipping fuel car.

#6 ·
Is that on the computer or brim to brim? My computer says I'm doing 38 to 40. Brim to brim, it's more like 28 to 32. I drive 35 miles each way. For 34.5 of that I can pretty much drive with cruise on at 50 to 60mph all the way with half a dozen stops for roundabouts or junctions. It's very disappointing!

#7 ·
It's the data from the computer, as I have never bothered checking with brim to brim calculations.
However, if I back in to the calculations, based on filling to the brim when I leave France, filling once more to the brim on the way south, and deducting what is usually left in the tank when I get to my place in Spain, the numbers seem to be fairly accurate.

Bear in mind the following.
You mention a half a dozen stops for roundabouts or junctions.
That's double the number of obligatory stops I face, once I get past the first toll on the motorway south of Paris.
After this, I have a virtually traffic free straight run south of 800 km, with only three obligatory stops for tolls

Another important consideration.
French motorways (and the roads in general), are in much better nick than those in the U.K.
I was back in England in April, and drove from Folkestone to Birmingham and back, so I have very recent experiences to compare road conditions. Compared to French roads, I would use one word to describe the state of English roads. Appalling.
I have no idea how this affects fuel consumption, but my gut feeling is that bad roads can't help much.

My XF consumes the least when running at constant speeds over long distances on good roads.

#9 ·
I'd still be interested to see how that compares with brim to brim. My last tank, the computer said 45mpg. It took 68 litres to fill and I'd done 444 miles. That's 29mpg (ish). If I was actually getting what the computer told me I was getting then I'd be happy. It's the MASSIVE discrepancy that concerns me.

#10 ·
I'll be heading back to Spain, sometime in the next two weeks, so, if I don't forget, I'll do a brim to brim.
I'll be taking my usual route, and using the same cruise control settings, and I'll let you now how I get on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.