XF Forum banner

Finally: A Modern Jaguar Posts a Sporting Time at a Race Track

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Muenster 
#1 ·
Well, I know it comes with many asterisks, not being an actual series production run and all.

But finally, Jaguar does something that puts one of its modern vehicles in halo position at a race track.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/jaguar-xe-sv-project-8-is-quickest-production-sedan-around-the-ring/

Seven:Twenty-one at the 'Ring is a seriously fast time. If this was on a Giulia QF/M3 price level it would have been great vehicle that I'd definitely buy. At US$200,000. It is a collector's curiosity, but a damn good one at that.

So congrats to the Jaguar SV team for getting one on the board.

See less See more
#2 ·
So congrats to the Jaguar SV team for getting one on the board.
Presented six months ago, according to JLR themselves just 100 sold to date. The new Aston Martin Vantage, similar price, sold around 3,000 within a week of presentation. Let's face it, 'Jaguar' has no lustre left.

Alfa could easily match this time if they wanted with the £60k Guilia QV - tune up the Ferrari engine by 10%, drop 50 kg weight, fit semi-slick Trofeos, add £25k for 'Performante' spec, and it would still be half the price.

#3 ·
Even a huge Jaguar fan like myself would be hard pressed not to choose an Aston Martin over a Jaguar, if the price was the same. It just seems like you are getting (a lot) more car for the money with the Aston. And even though the XE SV Project 8 is called a collector's item, I would also be worried about depreciation. Which car is worth the most after, say five years: An Aston Martin Vantage or a Jaguar XE?

I always love to study the little details. I can't help noticing on the photo of VK67 FDL on the Nürburgring, that it seems to have only halogen headlights without LED DRL's and no headlight washers. Could it be a measure to save weight? It also seem like there are some bodycoloured plates mounted on the corners of the front bumper. Apart from covering the holes for the headlight washer jets, I can't figure out what they are for.

#4 ·
I always love to study the little details. I can't help noticing on the photo of VK67 FDL on the Nürburgring, that it seems to have only halogen headlights without LED DRL's and no headlight washers. Could it be a measure to save weight? It also seem like there are some bodycoloured plates mounted on the corners of the front bumper. Apart from covering the holes for the headlight washer jets, I can't figure out what they are for.
Good spotting. Yes, they've tried everything to strip weight from the car, and so made it even more of a special, non-volume production representative. So what was the point? Maybe that's why this thing is a 'Ladenhueter' - shelf warmer. People who want a track day special will buy one, people who want a road car with sports potential, will buy an M3, Guila QV, C63 AMG etc.

The jerks at Gaydon are repeating page for page the same playbook as the MG-Rover Phoenix Four gang, who tried to divert attention from their core business woes with silly garbage like the MG X-Power supercar, and converting a FWD Rover 75 to RWD.

They're indisciplined, childish, arrogant and deluded.

#6 ·
180 MPH! That's 290 km/h! OMG! Amazing to see the needle on the speedo plantet at five o'clock. Talking about details, I noticed the airbag warning lamp was on. Perhaps they have taken out the airbags to save weight.

#7 ·
The tape over the headlight washers is probably to keep them from popping out/opening during high speed runs. All the extra front aero and air flow is probably pushing them out above a certain speed.

Disconnecting the airbag on track for a maximum effort run, specially on a track where the car leaves the ground 6 or 7 times is not uncommon. I have been on tracks on street cars where a bump (like going over a curb or from outfield to infield) causes all sorts of alarms and airbag malfunction lights to pop up. One vehicle even dialed OnStar, and the operator came on the speakers asking if we were in an accident because the car registered a 2G occurrence.

#8 ·
regardless of the price, things off to save weight, depreciation, still, this is a hell of a car. i love it. the looks, speed, sound, love it. like always, there will be a better car, cheaper/more advanced engine/faster blah, blah, blah. i love this one. in orange.

#9 ·
ˆˆˆˆ

I agree, it is a great vehicle. It is not for me, because I like to drive/enjoy my cars, not collect them. But this is a nice car to help establish Jaguar as a performance brand.

#10 ·
It went round pretty quick, however you look at it. The fact that Jaguar feel that they can charge such a high price for it and actually sell them seems to be a marker of what success looks like to me (to borrow from the title of another thread).

#11 ·
"Disconnecting the airbag on track for a maximum effort run, specially on a track where the car leaves the ground 6 or 7 times is not uncommon. I have been on tracks on street cars where a bump (like going over a curb or from outfield to infield) causes all sorts of alarms and airbag malfunction lights to pop up. One vehicle even dialed OnStar, and the operator came on the speakers asking if we were in an accident because the car registered a 2G occurrence."

I have this picture inside my head of you in an XF tearing round a racetrack with a long line of fire trucks and rescue vehicles with flashing lights chasing you, because the car has send for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.