XF Forum banner

Trading up for a 2011 2.2d luxury to a 2016 2.0D prestige

8K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  jagular 
#1 ·
Hi there
Thinking of changing my old facelift XF. I’ve loved every mile but as we’re getting close to 100k miles, maybe it’s time to part company.

I have a couple of specific issues

has any traded up from the old 2.2 (ford derived) unit to the 2.0 ingenium unit?
I’ve read elsewhere about some vibration issues, are these isolated?
Alos. Is the mpg visibly better?

also, the car I’m focused on is listed at 180bhp output ( on a 2016 plate)
Does this seem right as I can’t see it as a current option

#4 ·
I will only say that the Ingenium diesel engines , and petrol for that matter, are not the engines that you might have hoped for.
I suggest that you simply read the views, after searching, of BMVIrep.
He is much maligned on here, regarded as a troll by some, but the fact is he highlighted the Ingenium engine’s failings a long time ago and has since had his concerns validated by the auto press.

#5 ·
also, the car I’m focused on is listed at 180bhp output ( on a 2016 plate)
Does this seem right as I can’t see it as a current option
That engine is a current option and probably the most popular version of the Ingenium Diesel engine. Notice, that horse powers can be a little different. Bhp, hp and PS differ slightly, so in the UK, it's often called 178 hp or bhp, whereas in mainland Europe it's 180 PS.

#6 ·
Well, things move as, as I have, and the search now includes r sports and portfolio models. Better looking too. As I didn’t like the prestige wheels.

ive come across a few AWD cars at a well known car retailer/reseller . Begins with a M and ends in a T (ten letters)

digging into the specs, I see the MPG, emissions and 0-60 suffer a bit. They don’t seem to be much dearer (at least second hand) but it’s more kit (ie drive shafts ) to age and possibly go wrong.

It’s a version that wasn’t available till the 2016 model in the UK, so I’ve no local knowledge of these, but i think it’s been available in other markets for some time

Does anyone have one, or experience or a view whether it’s worth considering?

#8 ·
And shoddy treatment by a couple of dealers has put me right off, now.First one (a jaguar main dealer) reversed on verbally agreed figures by £250. Then he didn’t mention that the dealer contribution relied on me taking finance for a minimum of 6 months, which would have cost me an extra £500+ in interest.The second was a well known car supermarket. Probably the biggest, without mentioning names. Their car was a great price but the trade in was correspondingly lower. I specifically asked if had been a hire care and was told categorically no, it was a lease car. A company name (Scot Ltd) popped up on the associated virtual paper work, when I checked later, this was the name behind Dollar/Thrifty. Car dealers? You’ve just got to love them. I’m going to stick with my old car a little longer. Anything not to perpetuate any contact with any further thieving scum in suits.

#10 ·
And shoddy treatment by a couple of dealers has put me right off, now.First one (a jaguar main dealer) reversed on verbally agreed figures by £250. Then he didn’t mention that the dealer contribution relied on me taking finance for a minimum of 6 months, which would have cost me an extra £500+ in interest.
I have always assumed that the dealer contribution is part and parcel of the advertised PCP price.
Very unusual today to see the retail price of a promoted car. Indeed anyone today wanting to buy a car via a part exchange and cash balance is simply not wanted by some dealers.

#9 ·
Carabind wrote: "Well, a progress report. I discounted the AWD versions based on the press test reports. Little advantage to AWD, money better spent on winter tyres."

Exactly my thought. AWD may make you get started and drive faster, but I'm more concerned about stopping.

#25 ·
I think all new Jaguars are available with sophisticated traction control making awd unnecessary in almost all markets. I forget what they call it, all surface progress control or something like that. It is a development of land rovers hill descent control. Using the abs brake system capabilities and very precise throttle control, plus probably engine power control through ignition timing I should think, the car essentially drives itself from rest to about 20 km/hr. Traction is all about very precise engine power control. For a long time automatic transmission equipped cars could not match an expert driver, now the Jaguar not only matches the performance of the most skilled driver it exceeds it.

Definitely if you are considering awd to get better slippery cold road performance winter tires are essential whereas awd is not. Even older Jaguars deliver excellent low road friction grip with Winter selected, TRAC selected and manual control of the gear selection using S and the paddles. Only with proper tires though. Summer tires do not grip in winter conditions.

Jaguars awd adds about 75 kg to curb weight and for most of the time there is no wear and very little fuel economy impact because the awd hardly ever actually engages at the transmission connection, the only extra drag is from rotation of the front drive shaft assemblies driven by the front wheels. Only buy awd if you regularly drive in deep snow.

#12 ·
can't recall the website, but you choosing the car you want and dealers are 'fighting' for you. maybe worth checking? :)

#15 ·
I’d been on carwow but I believe they’re for new cars, and I always buy something nearely new .

anyway, deal done now.
Sold my venerable XF last week, (FOC via gumtree!) achieved £1500 more the £7k that was being offered on part ex. Very happy.

am picking up a Volvo s90 tommorrow . On a 17 plate, with just 300 miles on the clock. Spec is similar to a portfolio.
Some nice touches, including digital instruments, a massive (comparatively) touch screen, more leg room in the back, comfier seats, spare tyre, LED headlamps, adaptive cruise, pilot assist (self steering) ......Sort of stuff thats included with the s90 that just wasn’t included in the XF portfolio standard spec.
I like the new XF, but i believe it’s it’s an evolution of the previous (facelift) XF.
Whereas the S90 was a brand new car in 2016, so is more leading edge.

Au Revouir

#16 ·
congratulations on a new car. Volvos were always very well spec'd comparing to other brands in same price ranges.

#17 ·
Thanks, Bik3rz
I was very pleased with my XF. I had it for over 5 years, which is a very long time for me

As you said. the S90 is very well spaced.
Also, compared to my XF , it’s costs less, (27k now rather than 29k back in 2012) and has less miles (300 rather than 6000).
So I’m very happy

#18 ·
I was well happy with me prev car - Volvo s60, sold it at 11 y/o and 160k on the clock :) bulletproof car that was. dealer wanted to give me £200 for it when was trying to trade in...sold it week later in private sale for £900 :)I'm sure you will be enjoying yours :)

#19 ·
Certainly Volvo is in the ascendant at present and I am sure you will be delighted with S90.
I am sure it would have made for a good video to witness the introduction to you of the Volvo’s technology in the car.
Enjoy :)

Interested to know how the Carwow process operates.
Were you able to chose a dealer for handover, was it easy to transact ?

#20 ·
Don't think @Carabind's was Carwow, Pekem. As he said, they do new cars, mainly at least.

They're no great shakes, anyway. It's just a collector site for dealer quotes. It's a buyer's market now, so anyone can do a great deal, just by a bit of internet work, and then playing off online with a few local dealers.

Carabind's car is obviously a pre-registered, 300 miles. The deal is blinding, £27k for that much car. Probably £8-10k off new list price.

Something like this: D4 190PS http://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/us...-assist-camera-sat-nav-17inch-alloys-wdbrgu3m

Pre-reg, ex-demo S90s on Volvo's site can be searched here(<3,000 miles): http://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/us...ialSearch&sort=km:ASC&max=12#result-tools-top

#21 ·
Yes, it was a good deal. The car is on a 17 plate (not a 67) but the price compared well with others of a similar age ( may 17)and spec (inscription) and up to 8k miles. I was lucky in that mine was a lease car which was never picked up. From the paperwork, I see it was originally delivered to a Huddersfield dealer, then I guess at some stage, it was driven down to London where I bought it a few months later. Dealer was good too.

i did look at at XFs, but the dealers were hard work to deal with, so I gave up.
I did have a go at carwow, but didn’t get any worthwhile deals. I prefer a lightly used car compared to a brand new one. The savings are too good to ignore which is why I went down the pre-loved route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.