XF Forum banner

Was it too early for the I-Pace ?

367K views 4K replies 21 participants last post by  hydrajaws 
#1 ·
Different car/ market I know but given the present plight of diesel cars, which in the U.K. the F-Pace is , and the high level of interest in Hybrids I wonder if the Outlander will steal a march on Jaguar.
Diesel is bad news and the I-Pace will be expensive.

Best selling PHEV in Europe must be worth a few diesel F-Paces ?

Mitsubishi delivers 635 Outlander PHEVs to Ukranian police

Posted June 8, 2017 by Charles Morris

Mitsubishi has delivered 635 Outlander PHEV vehicles to the National Police of Ukraine, an order resulting from an emissions trading agreement called the Green Investment Scheme.

This is the second time MMC has supplied vehicles under the Green Investment Scheme – in 2011, it delivered 507 i‐MiEVs to the government of Estonia.

Since its launch in 2013, the Outlander PHEV has recorded cumulative sales of 80,768 units (as of the end of 2016), and has been the best-selling PHEV in Europe for four years in a row.

At the delivery ceremony, MMC President Osamu Masuko said, “I would like to thank the Ukrainian government for evaluating our Outlander PHEV highly and deciding that it is the right option for the country’s police force.

The Outlander PHEV is not only environmentally friendly but also contains our latest technologies such as our advanced 4-wheel-drive system Super All-Wheel Control, which makes it highly suitable for police use.”

#2 ·
It is not too late if the I-Pace is done right and proves to be a worthy vehicle. The issue is that Jaguar is doing the I-Pace in a rushed, desperate mode. The chances of them producing a competitive product in this fashion is nil.

#3 ·
Well it might be that the Outlander will be seen off by:

....................... Jaguar E-Pace !

Jaguar confirmed that the E-Pace will become the brand's second SUV/crossover next year.

A third crossover, the battery-powered I-Pace, will join Jaguar's lineup after the E-Pace, also next year.
The E-Pace will ride on the platform that underpins the XE sedan.

"The combination of sports car looks with Jaguar performance will ensure that the E-Pace stands out," Ian Callum, Jaguar director of design, said in a statement.

Technical details are few, but Jaguar says the E-Pace will be available with the company's Ingenium gasoline and diesel engines.

The E-Pace will come standard with all-wheel drive.

Jaguar will officially introduce the E-Pace in London on July 13.

A teaser image of the E-Pace released by Jaguar.

"Every Jaguar is designed to excite the senses, and we think E-Pace will do just that, albeit with its own character," Callum said.

Porsche created the successful template for high-performance crossover vehicles with the Cayenne and Macan.

The F-Pace crossover, launched last year, has been one of the hottest-selling vehicles in Jaguar's history.

#4 · (Edited)
Notice the photoshopped panel gap? As they used to say about the original Range Rover - the only things that can be seen from space are the Great Wall of China and R/Rover panel gaps.

So we've got fake panel gaps, what else? This:

'Jaguar confirmed that the E-Pace will become the brand's second SUV/crossover next year. The E-Pace will ride on the platform that underpins the XE sedan.'

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20170620/COPY/306209934/jaguar-e-pace-crossover-coming-in-2018

- a blatant lie, of course. They, JLR and its media lackeys, know that if word gets out that the E-Pace is just a re-frock of the Evoque, itself a refrock of the 2006 Freelander, and of course built on a FWD obsolete £15k Mondeo platform, the bell of BL-Vanden Plas will ring in the head of older Brits, and the airhead yummie mummies, who don't know their FWD arse from their RWD elbow, will continue to buy their £50k Evoques anyway - until the BMW X2 appears, next month.

#IPODesperation #VandenPlas.

PS why would they not build the 'E-Voque' in Halewood, with sources close to Magna Steyr saying they have the contract?

If true, it's because:

a)Halewood is a blackhole for product quality, producing simple vehicles all based on a bog standard more than decade-old Ford platform. Speth's team are deliberately snubbing the JLR UK workforce.

b) escape from Brexit's complications, putting production into Europe, with Magna Steyr in Austria.

#6 ·
Tad- dah, the new E-voque!

'E-voque', not (X)E-Pace, as Richard Truett of Autonews Europe would like the plebs to swallow, attempting to justify £50k for a 2006 Freelander, confirmed by Auto Motor und Sport, or just by looking at the front wheel position - FWD

'Der neue Jaguar E-Pace basiert auf der schon etwas älteren D8-Plattform von Land Rover, auf der unter anderem der neue Discovery Sport, aber auch der Range Rover Evoque aufbauen'

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/jaguar-e-pace-2018-bilder-preise-marktstart-suv-3702992.html

#7 ·
Mitsubishi sells more than 1m vehicles annually. It doesn't matter how many PHEV it sells, they lose money in every one. In fact, until Nissan took control Mitsubishi lost money on every vehicle it sold.

There is no market for the iPace so it matters not how successful it may be. Jaguar will lose money on every iPace it is forced to make. Zero would be an ideal sales target.

#8 ·
I love it.....that is exactly how Nokia and RIM reacted to the iPhone.

Here is what Germany's Berenberg Bank recently wrote in a report to investors...

“(Legacy Manufacturer) complacency about electric vehicle (EV) technology is worse than perceived. Despite more talk of developing EVs for mass-market adoption, a lack of real action and strategic commitments betray their underlying conviction, with no clear pathway to high-volume EV production before the mid-2020s. Tesla will be given a near-monopolistic opportunity to gain market share and outcompete the incumbent automotive industry,”

#10 ·
I love it.....that is exactly how Nokia and RIM reacted to the iPhone.

Here is what Germany's Berenberg Bank recently wrote in a report to investors...
They're not complacent, they just don't see any profit in EVs now or in the near future.

Germans are often seen as techno freaks, but actually they are money people first, and they hate to send good money after bad, like money to Greece.

Their head tells them, whatever the clarion calls from the media and bankers' notes, that there is no money in electric, at least in the mass market.

They are being forced to make an offering due to the collapse of diesel and the green anti-fossil fuel bandwagon, so with their hard-headed pragmatism, not wide-eyed techno lust, they are getting their chemical mates to grab hold of the fundamentals of these milkfloats, and get the costs into control.

Tesla will fall over with the Model 3. It's not just that there is fundamentally no money in a $35k EV, it's that they can't do mass production. It's this that is actually killing them, as quality and costs go out of control at Fremont.

#11 ·
It seems that a lot of crazy people are preparing to spend shareholder money supporting Tesla if they are the only EVs in this “vacant market “

Just think, all major buildings providing a charging facility for Tesla owners :)

Siemens latest German giant to rally behind ChargePoint as EU looks to mandate EV charging in larger buildings29 June 2017
Europe’s largest manufacturing giant Siemens has followed Daimler and BMW i Ventures in investing in US company ChargePoint. It comes as the world’s largest charging network provider plans its expansion into Europe as demand for plug-in electric vehicles (EVs) continues to rise.

The investment is part of ChargePoint’s $125 million (€110 million) drive to enter the European market and comes as the Frankfurter Allgemeine reports that EU member state energy ministers have agreed a proposal from the European Commission that from 2025 onwards, all major buildings in Europe must be equipped with EV charging stations.

The ruling will apply to all new or ‘comprehensively’ renovated buildings that have at least 10 parking spaces, with office and non-residential buildings required to have at least one charging point – as well as cables laid so that in the future it will be possible to equip each third parking space with a charging point.

Small companies are allowed to be excluded but rules are stricter in residential buildings, with the need to create a charging point for every parking space.

The EU believes the costs will be manageable, forecast to amount to €2,500 for the establishment of a charging station by the time the proposal takes effect, accounting for 1-2% of the total cost of renovating buildings.

The charging point plan is part of the EU’s energy efficiency plans, which aims for the EU to emit 40% less CO2 by 2030, with energy savings of 30%.

With such enormous growth thus forecast for the EV charging point market in the coming years, it is clear to see why Siemens wants to get in on the action. In March, ChargePoint announced it had raised $82 million (€72 million), including investment by Mercedes-owner Daimler, which saw Daimler’s Axel Harries join ChargePoint’s board.

This latest $42 million (€37 million) investment takes the total European expansion investment to $125 million (€109 million) and will see the CEO of Siemen’s Energy Management Division Ralf Christian also join the board. The privately held company has now raised $268 million (€234 million) in total so far.

New board member, Siemens’ Christian, said: ‘Our investment represents an acknowledgement by Siemens of the future and the potential of electromobility.

Siemens will support ChargePoint with its complementary technology portfolio and facilitate the integration of vehicle charging into modern power grids.’ This suggests ChargePoint will benefit from Siemens’ deep expertise in European standards and electricity grid architectures, giving it key inside knowledge to successfully execute its European expansion.

The company continues to grow in dominance in the US, recently adding to its predominantly US-based 36,000 charging station network with the acquisition of General Electric’s 9,800 charge points, including its commercial WattStations and residential DuraStations.

ChargePoint announced its new 400kW ‘Express Plus’ fast chargers at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, which it says will add hundreds of miles of range for EV drivers in less than 15 minutes.

This is competitive with that offered by Tesla’s Supercharger network. As more and more EVs flood the US market, it is likely ChargePoint will be able to out-compete Tesla’s network in the years to come if the latter remains exclusive to Tesla cars.

#12 ·
When the big boys start replacing their existing lineup with EV maybe then you have a point. Right now the major makers are only building enough EV to keep them legal for selling IC cars in California and China.

Charging points are few and far between compared to filling stations. Maybe post again on this topic in 2025....

#17 ·
Charging points are few and far between compared to filling stations. Maybe post again on this topic in 2025....
Last time I looked most houses have an electrical charge point - its called a wall socket.
Also how many petrol stations would you need if you left your house everyday with a full tank of fuel ..... which will happen in an I-Pace (or any EV for that matter)

#20 ·
Interesting new video from Jaguar that should encourage Jagular that Jaguar’s electric car will swell the number of manufacturers in the EV market which he says doesn’t exist.
Doubt that the IPace will be subsidised by the taxpayers in the UK, far too pricey.

#23 ·
I'm as much a Jaguar fan as anybody, and I hate saying bad things about the brand. But using the Jaguar Formula E car to make the I-Pace look good is a joke. Aren't all the teams in Formula E using the same car? It's not a unique race car developed by Jaguar. Alright, this year they can use their own driveline to a certain extent. But is that really a good way to advertise Jaguar? I admit, Jaguar is doing better than in the beginning. They are not dead last anymore. There is actually a team, which has managed to drive so slowly, that they have one point less than Jaguar. In the video a speaker voice says, that Jaguar has the fastest lap time. They must have been one of the first teams to do a lap, or they have been extremely lucky. Because overall they are doing very poorly. Jaguar can count themselves lucky, that Formula E gets so little exposure, that no-one knows, how Jaguar is actually doing.

Having said that, I'm pleased to hear people at Jaguar's talking so enthusiastically about the I-Pace. They sound as though they have been working really hard, and they are really pleased with the result. I hope it's not just acting, but that the I-Pace turns out to be a really great car.

#30 ·
Just to correct some misconceptions...

In civilized places, like the US, 200Amp residential service has been the standard installed in homes for decades. Some people with multiple Tesla's in the garage - yes, there are several such families - have opted to add second 200Amp service just to charge the Tesla vehicles and power walls. It costs US$3,000 to $5,000 to install depending on your location, how far the service run has to be, etc.

For places like Europe or older homes, installing a second service line for the EV will probably be the way to go, if you want to do fast charging - 75Amp and above. I'd imagine it would cost the same $3,000-$5,000 since European homes are closer to main distribution lines than US homes, but you guys always get gauged for everything.

The other alternative, of course, is a Tesla solar panel with a Powerball. Load the Powerwall during the day (with the sun) and unload it to your EV overnight. It is the perfect solution, and requires no involvement from the power company. As a bonus, you get blackout protection in the case of a storm or such power disruption.

And again, you see that only one company in the world is attacking the whole problem:
- EVs
- Fast Charging
- Attractive Solar Roofs
- Powerball Battery Storage

Guess which company it is. Yep. That one. The $60B Tesla.

#32 ·
Bingo. And after you get used to driving a 4.0s 0-60MPH sedan with ridiculously low running costs, there is no way you will ever go back to something like an Ingenium diesel Jaguar sedan that takes an eternity, more than 2 times longer to get to 60MPH.

That is really the disruption. Tesla is giving Europeans, for the first time, a taste of performance they can afford.

#33 ·
And I don't think anyone will be surprised to hear that the I-pace will probably be delayed - with the production model not being in Frankfurt later this year as previously promised. Present estimate for prices and Specs Q1/2 of 2018. What's the betting it will be second half. Ho, hum

#42 ·
Like I say it's just hearsay, I don't think JLR can be blamed for what people said they said. Although I do believe they said the production model would be in Frankfurt, so if it is not that's a sign of delay and typical of what we are coming to expect. On the other hand so long as the I-pace is with us next year that is still in advance of the Model 3 and well ahead of anyone else. So long as it is not a complete turkey it should do well (or at least do whatever it is supposed to do in terms of meeting the requirements for selling BEVS to satisfy China and California etc. cf. posts from the usual suspects). An RHD Model 3 is not expected until 2019!

#45 ·
On the other hand so long as the I-pace is with us next year that is still in advance of the Model 3 and well ahead of anyone else.
Nope. Audi e-tron SUV:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/electric-audi-e-tron-suv-race-jaguar-i-pace-market

Will be faster, lighter, better range, probably cheaper, but I'm sure the UK/US media will say it has 'character', or 'if you want a driver's car, get the Jag', which is code for 'it's hopeless, but our jobs depend on it'.

Jaguar can't catch a break, cutting and running with ICEs, due to being hopelessly outgunned, making a fanfare about electric, even roping in a proper car maker, and then still being a backmarker, like Formula E, when it comes to actually doing not PR-ing.

Speth and Butschek should be on the blower night and day to the Chinese trying to land a sale, as the future is a nightmare.

#43 ·
I don't think a Model 3 would compete with an I-Pace. Completely different market segments. Even the Model Y would not compete with the I-Pace.

Model 3 is for practical and attractive transportation that just so happen to be an EV. I-Pace is a look at me vehicle, with no practical ability to do long trips due to lack of supercharger network, sold by a company that needed to be dragged kicking and screaming to change from a diesel to an EV.

#44 ·
Err, I have a Tesla and the only time I ever needed the super charger network was after a catastrophic series of events, but mainly because Tesla had stolen my cables after attempting to fix a rattle - otherwise I would have charged from my parent's mains supply. Very few people in the UK regularly travel more than a couple of hundred miles in a journey. The I-pace could well be a practical and attractive transport vehicle. Or not.

#53 ·
Or you could get a Tesla and use their supercharger or destination charger network. When you do there is no app, no card, nothing to pull out.

If you have an Model S or X (grandfathered in), there is no supercharger cost. For all others you get 400KWh of supercharger credits/year. If you go above that, your charge is simply, automatically and transparently billed to the credit card linked to your Tesla on-line account. You plug, charge and leave. No need to do anything else for payment.

Maybe now you understand the benefit of a a high end proprietary solution. 1 - charges 3 times faster than most other "fast charger" ports. 2 - Offers total convenience.

P.S. A lot of the complexity you see in the 3rd party charging networks is actually country/state/local regulations which are archaic. For instance, in the US, some states force companies to charge "by the minute" instead of by the KWh.

#56 ·
The reason for my concerns earlier expressed is, that I have been toying with the idea of owning an EV. It's all good and fine using the supercharger network and all, but it takes time during your journey. If I visit my parents 300 kms away for the weekend, I'll be able to get there with a long range EV like a Tesla. Realistically that is. It doesn't go 500 km on a charge in real life. Probably not even 400, if I'm using the heater or the air conditioning. Or if I'm driving the permitted 130 km/h on the motorway.

To illustrate that, Renault has a homepage, where you can see the real range of the Renault Zoe. A car with a 400 km range according to the standard test. You can choose outside temperature, use of heater or A/C, wheel size and speed. No matter what I do, I can't get it over 388 km. That's with a speed of 50 km/h (around 30 mph). Good luck with that on the motorway! If I go to 100 km/h, the range drops to 231 km. And at the permitted motorway speed of 130 km/h it's only 163. And that's at 20 degrees outside temperature and no heating nor A/C. If we set the temperature at more realistic 10 degrees and turn the heater on, the range is 157 km. My point is, that a Tesla must also be sensitive to speed, temperature and all, so the realistic range is far from the promised 500 km. So after driving the 300 km to my parents', the battery must be rather close to empty.

Anyway, my point is, it would be nice to be able to charge the EV during the weekend, while I visit my parents. They live in a flat, so they don't have a garage, where I can charge the EV. Of the two large companies, that have charging stations in Denmark, only one has charging facilities near my parents'. They are only 200 metres away, which is great. They are 11 W chargers with a Type 2 connection. I don't know, what that is, but other charging stations have CHAdeMO and/or CCS connections. If my EV can't use that charger, there are no chargers within walking distance. So I would have to either take time away from my visit to go somewhere to charge the EV, or I would have to take time away from our home journey and use a supercharger near the motorway. I could of course also have done that on the way over, so the battery wouldn't be completely flat. That is probably the best solution, so I could use the EV for errands in the weekend and be able to drive to a supercharger on the motorway on our way back home. The trouble here would be my wife asking, why that EV is such a good idea, if we have to stop all the time for half hour recharges. Not that my wife is understanding. I'm just giving her the role of the little boy in The Emperor's New Clothes.

What bothers me here is not so much the time for charging and the need for frequent charging. I understand that. The problem is, that not only are there not yet many chargers around, but I can only use some of them. Others belong to another company, where I'm not a costumer. E.ON has a service, where non costumers have to call them on their phone to make them open the chargers. The price is then rather high. And this is at the same time I pay 40 pounds every month to be a costumer at another company. And even worse, some chargers don't even have the connection or the voltage, that fits my EV. Imagine driving around in your ICE car and discovering, that you can't use like 40% of the petrol stations, because the fuel nozzle on the pump doesn't fit your car. And then half the stations charge you twice the price, unless you want to be a costumer at 40 pounds a month.

I know, you can paint a rosy story, like Pekem does, if you are lucky to live and drive, where there are the right kind of charging stations. In Denmark some companies even have free charging if you pay a higher monthly fee. If you can take advantage of that, it can be really cheap to drive an EV. But I also envision scenarios, where it can be quite difficult to drive an EV. At least you need to plan ahead. But once you have learned about the charging stations at a given place, you'll know what to do, every time you return. And you often go the same few places most of the time. So perhaps, like Pekem says, when you are living with an EV and have to deal with the obstacles, it isn't nearly as bad, as many people fear.

#57 ·
I don't want to paint a rosy picture. Clearly, presently, owning an EV is less convenient for some people than owning an ICE vehicle.

You just have to be realistic about it. But bear in mind that these are very early days. 2 years ago Tesla had zero superchargers in Europe. Now there are thousands. Next year there will be thousands more.

Looking at the static picture today to determine if you should buy an EV is not very useful. Just look at the progress made in the past 2 years, and project it forward.

#58 ·
In the meantime Muenster you can use these:

http://teslapedia.org/model-s/tesla-driver/mobile-charging-cable-options/

Mobile Charging Cable OptionsNov 12, 2016 | Tesla Driver

BackgroundIn the UK, mainland Europe and the USA, Tesla supplies the model S with a “Universal Mobile Connector” (UMC). This plugs into the car at one end, has a lump in the middle with some electronic smarts inside, and can accept a variety of different clip-on adaptors at the other end in order to allow it to connect to all manner of different electrical outlets ranging from 1 to 11kW.

#59 · (Edited)
Comical Ali (Nick Gibbs) on no-show (quelle surprise) of production I-Pace at Frankfurt:

'Jaguar debated launching the I-Pace at Frankfurt but decided against it for one big reason – high demand for the car even before its launch.'

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20170909/BLOG15/170909811/1172

Does Nick read his master's own press releases? Particularly the one a few weeks ago where JLR UK CEO Jeremy Hicks said the I-Pace has 500 pre-orders, after nearly a year of being available to be ordered?

Now Nick says:

'Jaguar says it has over 25,000 confirmed orders for the I-Pace'

So from 500 pre-orders just a few weeks ago, as stated by the CEO of JLR himself, to 25,000 confirmed orders, according to a hack associated most with Haymarket, the company paid by JLR to do Jaguar's PR, who sources 'Jaguar'. Hmm.

There's nothing like advertising your desperation by continually shouting how successful you are; as Shakespeare said - I think you doth protest too much.

Nick, Haymarket and JLR are sh!t-scared of what the Germans will show next week, by way of EVs, rendering the I-Pace obsolete before it even reaches market.

JLR/Haymarket are trying to do what what arch PR/establishment outfit Tesla does - see the aping of the suddenly huge pre-orders thing.

But even that they F-up, with lame hacks like Gibbs sent out to do the dirty work, with 'Jaguar says', rather than Speth or even Hallet(JLR PR boss) putting their names to it, which to be fair, Musk does, with his Twitter thing.

Perhaps Speth knows down the line, in a few years, in a MG-Rover Phoenix Four environment, he doesn't want any dirt leading directly back to him, plausible deniability - "I did not know this freelancer 'Nick'" - else he end up in front of m'lud.

#60 ·
Jaguar says it has over 25,000 confirmed orders for the I-Pace, with customers in big markets in Europe and the U.S. placing "four-figure" deposits, despite the not knowing the exact final price. That order book is almost two year's worth of production at Magna Steyr's contract manufacturing plant in Graz, Austria, where the I-Pace will be built based on capacity predictions from IHS Markit.
If that is true then surely Jaguar should immediately ready Castle Bromwich for EVs.
I can’t recall what the pre-launch sales numbers were said to be of the XE or F-Pace but it surely wasn’t as high as the I-Pace.
It is astonishing that a car (EV) which we are told the public are not willing to commit to because of lack of infrastructure and range anxiety, even with a 300 mile range, has attracted so many advanced orders.

Quite an amazing achievement. Consider:

The last four years have seen a remarkable surge in demand for electric vehicles in the UK – new registrations of plug-in cars increased from 3,500 in 2013 to more than 107,000 by the end of July 2017.
So in four years the UK plugin fleet increased from 3500 to over 107,000 in four years.
Jaguar have a success on their hands which demands, that if Magna will need two years to fulfill the present I-Pace order book, that, as Dr Speth hinted the other day that a UK Jaguar factory may produce EVs, production be ramped up immediately.

#65 ·
These people are shameless. Ian at Techfest already started to waffle and wobble.

When asked how fast it would be he backed away from the 4.0 s 0-60MPH claim. He said "We haven't tested it, but it should be in the 4 to 5 second range".

When asked for the range, he said it will be "sufficient" "depends on how you drive" and "something like 300 miles or 500 KM".

The overpromising and underdelivering never ceases.

#66 ·
Well the I-Pace is definitely not showing up in Frankfurt but the good news is that Jaguar are going to show their 2040 Future Concept car.
Read down past all the others that are showing off their electric cars for tomorrow rather than 2040.

IAA Frankfurt set to welcome new model launches and concepts in the theme of Future Mobility

With the IAA Frankfurt motor show taking place from 14-24 September, manufacturers are finalising their plans and preparing to announce a number of new models designed to capture the imagination of the buying public.

Since the last event in 2015, the automotive world has seen the Volkswagen diesel scandal push forward the world of alternative fuels, while carmakers have continued to invest in autonomous technology, creating partnerships and forming companies to take advantages of increases in development.

The ownership landscape is also shifting
with more people relying on car sharing rather than purchasing a vehicle, an area that manufacturers are aware of.

Therefore, a number of new launches at this year’s IAA will focus on alternative fuels. BMW is one such company. Having announced that it will offer electrification on models throughout its range, with at least 12 fully electric vehicles, the German company will also introduce a new model in its ‘i’ range to the world.

Harald Krüger, chairman of the board of management at BMW comments: ‘At this year’s IAA, we will unveil another significant milestone in our roadmap for e-mobility.
It is a vision of how we imagine a four-door, fully-electric vehicle between the i3 and i8. It is a vision we want to realise in the foreseeable future. And a further step in our commitment to sustainable mobility.’

Meanwhile, Daimler is aiming to give its Mercedes-Benz GLC F-CELL a debut in Frankfurt. The hydrogen-powered vehicle is a pre-production model and is a base for the company’s testing of the technology, which it hopes to bring to the market together with vehicles from Toyota and Hyundai.

The company will also reveal the first of its electric EQ range, the EQ A, seen as a competitor to BMW’s ‘i’ series. The car will feature an illuminated grill, LED headlamps and, from a teaser video, appears to follow the shape of a conventional hatchback.

Jaguar will be giving its E-Pace its debut motor show outing, the company’s latest edition to its SUV line up. There will also be a concept vehicle, the Future-Type, which is the company’s vision of how vehicles will look in 2040.
The car is fully autonomous and in a nod to the changing ownership landscape, is designed to be summoned rather than owned.

The vehicle also features a fully connected steering wheel, which, the company states: ‘…lives in your home and becomes your trusted companion.

Sayer – named after the designer of the E-type - is the first voice-activated Artificial Intelligence (AI) steering wheel that will be able to carry out hundreds of tasks. It can summon your car, play music, book you a table and even knows what’s in your fridge.’

Another concept, although perhaps one closer to a future vehicle launch, comes from Volkswagen (VW), with its I.D. Crozz. This is another electric vehicle brand, which the company hopes will help regain public respect following the Dieselgate scandal.

The car is a redesigned concept from a previous launch, with the SUV model featuring a compact electric drive system and what the company claims is a ‘lounge-like spatial interior with four variable seats.’
The manufacturer will also launch a new Polo, and present its new T-Roc crossover.

Korean company Kia will be bringing a midi crossover called the Stonic, together with a facelifted version of its Sorento SUV and a crossover version of the Picanto called the X-Line, with the city car getting a raised ride-height and bumper body cladding.

SEAT will show off the new Arona and the Leon Cupra R, while also announcing the finalists of its large SUV name search, launched earlier in 2017.

However, the show will be missing a number of car manufacturers, with Nissan, Volvo and all brands from Fiat Chrysler (FCA) and PSA Group not attending.

#67 ·
Jaguar will ensure they sell as few iPace units as they can possibly get away with. They won't want to lose any more money on them than they absolutely have to. The iPace is specifically designed for sale in China and California where such models are a mandatory component of total sales for every passenger car maker. Without those requirements sales elsewhere wil likely be close to zero , if JLR markets the model rationally. Most dealers will just look at you blankly if you ask to buy one.

#68 ·
JLR is under no obligation to produce any ZEV/EVs for sale in Kalifornia as a condition to continue to sell its vehicles there.

JLR is considered a medium vehicle manufacturer under Kalifornia law, and therefore can satisfy all its Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV) requirements by buying credits in the open market. These credits sell for around $1,500 each (though they go up and down a lot), and even in the new (effective 2018) regulations, JLR would only need credits for 4.5% of the vehicles it sells.

For example, if JLR sells 10,000 cars in Kalifornia/year (average of prior 3 years) - a wet dream for JLR - they'd need 450 credits for 2018, which is about $700K. A trivial amount.

So, no. Kalifornia regulations are not the reason for the iPace, since JLR could simply write Tesla a $700K check to buy the credits and be done with it.

#69 ·
You're wrong about that. JLR is designing and may build the iPace so that it can sell into markets that restrict ICE sales by favouring EV and hybrid sales. California started that crazy idea and is steadily restricting their market in favour of "green" cars. JLR responded by designing an EV they would not otherwise have bothered to build. China is a more influential but California is a big factor.

#74 ·
China is a more influential but California is a big factor.
China is the country influencing JLR. Arguably now the most important market in the world.
If China follows through with this plan then JLR and all other makers will need to adapt.

China Plans To Ban Fossil Fuel Vehicles

September 10th, 2017 by Kyle Field
China’s vice minister of industry and information technology, Xin Guobin, has announced that the Chinese government is currently working on a timeline to end both the production and sales of fossil fuel vehicles.
The bold move comes as the government struggles to respond to public outcry in major Chinese cities struggling with crippling air pollution.

#72 ·
There is no way that the I-Pace has 25,000 confirmed orders.

In fact, there is no way that it has ANY confirmed orders.

For the very simple fact that the I-Pace order banks are not open, and no dealer can place an order, and therefore no dealer can get an order confirmation.

The statement that "The I-Pace has 25,000 confirmed orders" is an absolute and complete fabrication. A lie. The only question is who produced the lie. JLR or a clueless journalist.

P.S. Even the Model 3 does not have 25,000 confirmed orders. For the simple fact that Tesla only allows the 500,000 reservation holders to place a firm order and receive an order confirmation once their turn in the reservation queue is near to production. So even Tesla may only have a few thousand confirmed orders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.