XF Forum banner

Jaguar announce its first Electric car.

21K views 79 replies 10 participants last post by  Baron95 
#1 ·
First Jaguar electric vehicle revealed through a world first virtual reality experience

• Jaguar tears up the rule book creating a concept with supercar looks, sports car performance and SUV space, in one electric package
  • A long distance sprinter that accelerates to 60 mph in around 4 seconds, with a range of more than 500km (NEDC cycle) and rapid charging of 90kWh battery
  • Driver-focused all-wheel-drive performance from twin-electric motors generating 700Nm of torque and 400PS
  • Jaguar confirms production I-PACE will be on the road in 2018, with precise, agile driving dynamics as yet unseen on an electric vehicle
  • World-first, live cross-continent VR reveal experience transports audience into a unique virtual world to explore the I-PACE Concept using tech from world-leaders HTC VIVE™ and Dell Precision
  • Jaguar fans, guests and customers, including James Corden, Michelle Rodriguez, Miranda Kerr and David Gandy joined the car’s creators in this unique virtual world
  • To be one of the first owners go to jaguar.com and click the ‘I want one’ button
Whitley, Coventry – 15th November 2016. The Jaguar I-PACE Concept car is the start of a new era for Jaguar. This is a production preview of the Jaguar I-PACE, which will be revealed next year and on the road in 2018. Customers can register now at jaguar.com to be one of the first I-PACE owners.

Jaguar’s engineering and design teams have torn up the rule book to create a bespoke electric architecture, matched with dramatic design. The result is a no-compromise smart, five seat sports car and a performance SUV in one.
Ian Callum, Director of Design, said: “The I-PACE Concept represents the next generation of electric vehicle design. It’s a dramatic, future-facing cab-forward design with a beautiful interior – the product of authentic Jaguar DNA, electric technology and contemporary craftsmanship.

“Our virtual reality reveal today has pushed technology boundaries as well, and captures the hi-tech essence of the concept car. We only have one concept car and it is in LA for the reveal. For the first time, VR has allowed us share it across the globe in the most immersive way possible.”

This unique and world-first ‘social VR’ reveal is believed to be the largest live and connected VR event of its type to date. Throughout the day more than 300 guests were transported into a specially created life-like virtual space, into which, two of the car’s creators, Ian Callum and Ian Hoban were projected.

From VR hubs in Los Angeles and London, groups of 66 guests including A-list stars Michelle Rodriguez, Miranda Kerr and James Corden, used HTC Vive Business Edition headsets, powered by Dell Precision workstations, to put themselves inside the concept car and interact live with other participants. Guests ‘sat’ on the concept’s virtual seats, had a 360[SUP]0[/SUP] view of Venice Beach as the concept was built piece by piece around them, and saw the I-PACE Concept race towards them across a virtual desert.

Dr Wolfgang Ziebart, Jaguar Land Rover, said: "This is an uncompromised electric vehicle designed from a clean sheet of paper: we’ve developed a new architecture and selected only the best technology available. The I-PACE Concept fully exploits the potential EVs can offer in space utilisation, driving pleasure and performance."
The state-of-the-art electric motors and 90kWh lithium-ion battery pack were designed in-house by Jaguar Land Rover to give the best possible performance and range for most daily journeys. Where ever you are in the world you can simply plug your car into a wall socket overnight, and have more than enough range to complete the average daily commute of around 50 km.

For rapid charging, using a typical public 50 KW DC charging network, a full charge will take just over 2 hours. Enough to deliver more than 220 miles range (measured on the US EPA test cycle) or more than 500 km range (measured on the European NEDC test cycle).

The I-PACE Concept transforms the electric driving experience and offers the driver-focused performance and response Jaguar is renowned for. To help deliver this, the I-PACE has electric motors on the front and rear axles. Their combined output is 400PS and 700Nm of torque – the same torque rating as the F-TYPE SVR.
Ian Hoban, Vehicle Line Director, described the set up to VR guests who were able to use virtual reality to get under the skin of this ground-breaking technology. He said: "Electric motors provide immediate response with no lag, no gearshifts and no interruptions. Their superior torque delivery compared to internal combustion engines transforms the driving experience. With 700Nm and the traction benefits of all-wheel drive, the I-PACE Concept accelerates from 0-60mph in around four seconds."

The virtual reality experience also allowed participants to sit in the front and rear of the Jaguar I-PACE Concept and explore the beautiful interior, discovering hidden details and features.
Ian Callum said: “The interior of the I-PACE Concept is finished with beautiful, premium materials and an unwavering attention to detail. Throughout the interior you will discover a host of beautiful details to surprise and delight. From the expansive panoramic glass roof to the sporting, beautifully finished seats, every feature bears the hallmark of British craftsmanship.

“And there is digital craftsmanship too, with two touch screens serving up information when and where you need it, limiting distraction and improving the driving experience”
Renowned VR Director, Alexander Horton, led the creative direction. Participants experienced the car being built around them, speeding towards them and appearing to fall to Earth from another planet – clearly signalling the future-forward nature of the revolutionary Jaguar.

The new and exciting VR platform pushed the boundaries further than ever before, with the inclusion of social interaction and a live presenter broadcast into a single VR world.
Groups in both LA and London were able to communicate and interact with one another, all whilst watching Ian Callum and Ian Hoban explain through high-end real-time 3D graphics both the design process and technology behind this forward-thinking concept car.

The VR content from the reveal will now be available on Viveport through a dedicated Jaguar app allowing consumers to experience the I-PACE Concept at home.
Jaguar joined forces with VR leaders HTC, Computer experts Dell and Creative agencies ReWind and Imagination to create the world’s largest, global, connected VR experience.
Dan O’ Brien, Vice President Virtual Reality at HTC said: "Jaguar Land Rover is renowned for its innovative spirit, and with Vive Business Edition we’re thrilled to be the virtual reality partner to help bring their latest launch into an immersive VR landscape and to VIVE users at home. With the blend of cinematics and Vive’s room-scale VR technology, the I-PACE Concept VR experience offers an incredible level of immersion, and showcases an exciting reimagining of the traditional car launch.”

Dell Precision workstations powered the design and development of the Jaguar I-PACE Concept and the VR reveal experience. Dell Precision Tower Workstations are configured specifically with the increased performance, graphics and memory for VR content creation and advanced commercial visualization, making these types of applications possible in new areas of business, such as automotive.

Rahul Tikoo, Vice President and General Manager for Dell Precision, said: “Dell has long been involved in VR. We’ve been evolving our business model to introduce solutions that are optimized for the future of VR, from our VR-ready XPS and Alienware devices for the best VR experience to VR-ready Dell Precision solutions for professionals to create it. The Jaguar I-PACE Concept, designed and introduced with VR, reinforces the incredible innovation that’s possible with VR technologies and the potential to ultimately transform industries.”

Ross Wheeler, Head of Automotive at Imagination, said: “For the first time in history, a global automotive brand has used fully immersive VR to launch their latest car. This launch takes the individual far beyond any new car experience they would have witnessed before, allowing people across the world to connect in real time, be fully immersed within the vehicle and share live together their experience of Jaguar’s first ever electric vehicle.”
“Jaguar, by embracing cutting-edge technology in this way, has created an experience rich and rewarding for its consumers. It has undoubtedly redefined the future of how automotive brands introduce their new vehicles to customers.”

See less See more
#3 ·
Jaguar's timing is exquisite. Launch a "breakthrough" EV, 'new design language' just as Trump brings back coal, breaks the Paris Agreement and the US and UK - the Axis of Bullsh!t - are hit by a 'Polar Vortex', otherwise known as 'winter', returning after El Nino and the height of the current solar cycle.

EVs will be seen within 2 years as a folly on the scale of, er, EVs, due to the usual solar cycle and a 90%+ probability of a little ice age, due to the sun's longer cycles, not man, and all the lies and propaganda that propelled car companies to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on dead-end battery tech, and consumers to pay likewise in inflated prices for limited range glorified washing machine appliances will be over, in the seeming blink of an eye.

And then we will have to focus on Jaguar's conventional powerplants. Oh dear...

#14 ·
Thats the only imperative driving manufacture of EV. In particular, the CARB is driving pretty much all EV development and sales worldwide and at significant cost to the California taxpayer.

The only market for EV is driven by CARB.

#17 ·
The Tesla Model S and Model P100D, vehicles that are immensely larger than the I-Pace have NEDC ranges of 613km and 542km respectively.
(that is 315mi and 289mi on US EPA cycle range, which is much more stringent).

That is while accelerating twice as fast and charging 2.5 times faster.

The I-Pace would be a joke if it were released today. For a 2018 release it will be an epic joke.

#18 ·
Possibly but I don't think so. Those cars (P100D) will be twice as expensive (the comparison should be with the 90D which states on the website 303 mile NEDC, the reports suggest 310 for the jag. So the jag will have a similar range at a much lower cost. If they are very lucky it will fit between the E and the X

#20 ·
Two thoughts I am stuck with:
• the whole press kit is full of technobabble: battery 90 KWh - Tessa delivers 100 today not in 18 month — range of xyz, but if you check out Tessa site you learn, that it is all about the velocity; driving at 100 km/h or 140 km/h cuts out enormous amount of range!
…no one is going to drive 300 or 500 km below speed limit nowadays!
• the main screen and there are even two! has got pixels and a size of 12"(?) and Jag wants to address new markets even! I'm convinced it's all about software - were we have a history of drama (nav, apps, entertainment system, upgrades) and there was no word about all that, but about Dell computers and VR-systems???

disapointed
Michael

#25 ·
Still, look on the bright side, releasing this I-DogsDinner today spiked the actual news that the acclaimed, outstanding "world-beating", "class-leader", er, "spacious" etc ,etc Jaguar F-Pace, was apparently in reality so 'un-' all those things, even Jonny I hate krauts/adore Brits Lieberman's Motor Trend had to put the Merc GLC ahead of it in SUV of the Year.

Looks like Gaydon got wind of the result and pulled forward the I-Tat, sorry, I-Pace's reveal by 24 hours.

#27 ·
I love how people compare a VR "concept" (that may or may not be on the market in 2018) to cars that are actually shipping to customers day in and day out.

#28 ·
A bit like 400,000 people splashing out their cash on a car almost 18 months before planned delivery in late 2017, which now appears to be early 2018.

A few months ago, you didn't need a VR headset to see the future. Just give Tesla $1,000.:D

#29 ·
More news from JLR

This time "Jaguar Land Rover is working towards a cleaner future, with ultra-clean diesels and petrol engines, BEVs, PHEVs and MHEVs all in its strategic plans. By 2020 the company will offer customers the option of electrification on half of all its new cars, CEO Dr Ralf Speth confirmed."

Los Angeles, USA
: Jaguar Land Rover has revealed its first electric vehicle, the Jaguar I-PACE Concept, alongside the all-new Land Rover Discovery at the Los Angeles Auto Show.
Jaguar Land Rover is working towards a cleaner future, with ultra-clean diesels and petrol engines, BEVs, PHEVs and MHEVs all in its strategic plans. By 2020 the company will offer customers the option of electrification on half of all its new cars, CEO Dr Ralf Speth confirmed.

The Jaguar I-PACE Concept is an electric five-seat performance car with supercar looks, sports car performance and SUV space. The production version will be revealed in later 2017 and will be on the roads in 2018 with a predicted range of more than 500km on the NEDC cycle (220 miles EPA).

Making its North American debut, the new Land Rover Discovery continues a 27-year story of innovation. Jaguar Land Rover is leading the software engineering revolution at the forefront of the shift from cogs to code, illustrated by the investment in electrical engineering which has trebled from £99m to £301m over the last five years.
Dr Ralf Speth, Jaguar Land Rover CEO, said: “Design leadership, technical innovation and engineering excellence lie at the heart of this responsible business. Both the Jaguar I-PACE Concept and the Land Rover Discovery are revolutionary vehicles and major innovations in each of their segments, sharing our compelling combination of iconic British design and creative engineering.
“We are shaping the future, developing our own approach to autonomy, connectivity and electrification to offer our customers more choice.”

Joe Eberhardt, President and CEO Jaguar Land Rover North America, said: “Jaguar Land Rover is dramatically increasing its presence in the US marketplace. Jaguar is the fastest-selling brand in America this year and Land Rover is building on sales records when we were the fastest growing luxury brand in the US in 2015.”

Last year, Jaguar Land Rover confirmed plans to double the size of its advanced engineering and design centre in the UK. This expansion will house highly skilled product development engineers and support the company’s creation of high-tech, ultra-low emissions vehicles for customers around the world.

The UK is the cornerstone of Jaguar Land Rover’s business and remains the centre of Jaguar Land Rover’s design, engineering and manufacturing capabilities. Over the past five years Jaguar Land Rover has employed more than 20,000 people, taking its workforce to almost 40,000. It has invested more than £12 billion in new product creation and capital expenditure.

#31 ·
The addition of the function of electric motor running only will become the norm (bigger motor and bigger battery is all that would be required). The Silverado solution is a dead end aimed only at improving fuel economy ratings, all important for CAFE compliance but irrelevant in the real world.

JLR is merely stating the obvious since these mild hybrids (as defined by me not "them") will become standard in the market very soon. They use advanced stop start technology which will cost very little more than existing IC only cars. The mild hybrid will be popular enough to pay its own way without subsidies.

JLR is, like all sensible manufacturers, playing to the governments' tune without intending to change anything.

#33 ·
Well this is a welcome surprise !

Jaguar Land Rover is dramatically increasing its presence in the US marketplace. Jaguar is the fastest-selling brand in America this year and Land Rover is building on sales records when we were the fastest growing luxury brand in the US in 2015.”
What does "fastest-selling" mean? I would think it meant selling cars at the fastest rate, which would mean selling most cars. Since Jaguar is obviously not the brand selling most cars, it must mean something else.

#36 ·
(Whitley, Coventry – 15[SUP]th[/SUP] March 2017).

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Performance car

Jaguar has unleashed its first electric vehicle – the Jaguar I-PACE – onto the streets for the first time.

Driving on the streets of London’s famous Olympic Park, the electric performance SUV concept previews Jaguar’s first electric vehicle, the Jaguar I-PACE, which will be revealed in late 2017 and will be on the road in the second half of 2018.

“The feedback on the I-PACE Concept has been fantastic. With the I-PACE Concept we’ve torn up the rule book to create a vehicle with supercar inspired aesthetics, sports car performance and SUV space, in one electric package.

It has surprised people and the enthusiasm for our first electric vehicle has been beyond all my expectations.

“Driving the concept on the streets is really important for the design team.

It’s very special to put the car outside and in the real-world. You can see the true value of the I-PACE’s dramatic silhouette and powerful proportions when you see it on the road, against other cars.

The I-PACE Concept represents the next generation of battery electric vehicle design. For me, the future of motoring has arrived.”

#37 ·
And now Chas Hallett's view of the I-Pace :)

On the ground floor of a dim multi-storey car park somewhere in East London sits what might be the most daring and important new
Jaguar there has been in more than five decades.

Glowing in a coat of ‘Photon Red’ paint so vibrant you’d swear it was luminescent – and defying your every attempt at classification but for reasons that only invite your eyes to linger – the I-Pace looks bold and exciting even here amongst the striplight yellow and concrete grey. It’s part-supercar, part utility car; somehow all-Jaguar and yet not really like any Jaguar there has ever been. By the standards of the most far-fetched show cars, it’s stunning. Except here and now, away from the motor show stand where thousands have already admired it, the I-Pace is clearly not fantasy; it looks ready to be driven. And today, it will be.

Today will be one of only a handful of occasions that the I-Pace concept will ever be driven – and, sadly, it won’t be driven widely or quickly, or in anything like the fashion that we’d like. But driven it will be. Because when Jaguar invites you to experience a car as potentially transformative as this first-hand and at such an early stage, you grab the opportunity with both hands and learn what you can.
Read more - Jaguar I-Pace: first pic of production-spec electric SUV

There are only a handful of I-Pace prototypes in existence, and this very one will be whisked off towards the bright lights of the Geneva motor show when we’re done. The car’s insured for £2 million – and that’s probably a conservative estimate of its true value to Jaguar. So you drive it respectfully, with a polystyrene pad under your backside so your jeans don’t mark the leather and your shoes left on the pavement so you don’t get the carpets muddy. But sure, they say – you can drive it. And so today, the story of what the I-Pace might mean for its maker – and what it might do – can hit another gear.

Before all that, though, comes a chance to catch up with some of the key men involved in the I-Pace project and find out what stage it has reached, behind the increasingly impenetrable wall of secrecy that encircles Jaguar Land Rover’s Gaydon headquarters. They are Matt Beaven, Chief Exterior Designer, Advanced Design for Jaguar; Sandy Boyes, Beaven’s opposite number on interior design; and Dave Shaw, Vehicle Engineering Manager. Under some duress, and with the understandable reticence of those working on a car that has yet to fully mature, they sketch in a few tantalising details about this mould-breaking all-electric crossover sports-car-cum-SUV.

“We’re about halfway through the development work of the production car,” says Shaw, “and we’re on time & on track to deliver against our original promises. That means we’re about six weeks away from having the first ‘VP’ prototypes (the first mules in what’s approaching a final specification) to work on.”

Sounds like life’s about to get quite exciting for Shaw and his team. The promises he refers to are the headline numbers that Jaguar committed to when the i-Pace concept was unveiled at the LA motor show last autumn. 395bhp and 516lb ft of electric power and torque from one electric motor per axle. 0-62mph in around four seconds. Just over 300 miles of usable cruising range. And a 90kWh lithium-ion drive battery than can be charged to 80 per cent full from a public DC fast-charger in 90 minutes. If those performance figures are delivered on, they’d make the i-Pace a faster-accelerating and longer-legged car than the Tesla Model X 90D we road tested last month. And that would be a pretty stellar showing for Jaguar’s first road-going EV of any kind.
Shaw’s evidently so confident of achieving those targets because his engineers were involved in the I-Pace’s design from its embryonic stages. The I-Pace, as anyone inside of Jaguar will tell you, was that treasured rarity among so-called new cars: a genuine clean-sheet
design unconstrained by segment norms or predecessors or the design compromises imposed by a normal combustion engine and driveline. It could have been the wildest designer’s flight of fancy any motor show ever saw – but it isn’t.

“As a company we realised about five years ago,” says Shaw, “that it saves us all a lot of pain further down the line if we all sit around a table early on to decide what’s the best we can do with what we ‘ve got. Otherwise the designers come up with a car that aesthetically meets everything they want it to do, only to hand over to the engineers who have to say ‘yeah… but actually, that bit can’t, that bit can’t and this bit won’t.’ This way we’re all in it together and we all move faster that way.”

So the I-Pace really isn’t just another show car, as Matt Beaven explains. “Design-wise, we were working on the production version of the I-Pace at the same time as the concept,” he says. “We were keen not to overpromise; that the production version shouldn’t let you down. It will end up being very similar.”

“This was a huge challenge for us,” Beaven goes on. “The I-Pace had to be recognisably a Jaguar while starting in a totally blank space. We knew from the off that we weren’t interested in the kind of electric car sub-brand that other car-makers have introduced. This had to be an authentic Jaguar, and communicate Jaguar’s traditional values through entirely new proportions.”
So where do you start designing a car like this – or even just when taking it in? It’s hard to know what to make of the I-Pace away from the pedestal motor show glare and in such a singularly untheatrical setting. Those short overhangs, aerodynamic-looking silhouette and cabin-forwards profile owe more to supercar design type than SUV design convention – so the I-Pace actually looks more like the C-X75 than it does an F-Pace. The F-Type sports car was an influence, too. “The car’s short front haunches and elongated rear ones are like an F-

Type in mirror-image,” says Beaven. Sounds like classic car-designer double-speak – but if you stand far enough back and take in the whole of the car’s shape, you can see what he means. Ultimately, while you can’t quite decide if it’s a hatchback or a sports car or some new sort of SUV you’re looking at, you can’t help but wonder if knowing really matters. The I-Pace is something new, and nothing more or less than the very best EV that Jaguar can imagine right now.

We’re shoeless and ready to slide onboard at last. Heavy door, fiddly handle, “whatever you do, don’t slam it.” Yup, this is a concept car alright – but the driving position and the cabin layout will be reliable guides of what to expect from the production version. You sit low by SUV standards, at a similar height as you might in an F-Pace, but in a cockpit that’s more sparse, airy and spacious-feeling. A high centre console makes you feel snug on the one hand, but the controls and instruments are at a lower level than you expect to find them in front of you. Maybe this is an SUV after all.

A low scuttle grants excellent forward visibility. Overall you’re seated very comfortably with very little expanse of bonnet or dashboard in front you, close to the car’s front wheels. And, while I’m not permitted access to the pristine back seats to verify as much, I’m told that the cabin-forwards layout also makes for excellent second-row occupant space on a par with that of a luxury saloon, and 530-litres of boot space.

Designed in homage to the F-Type’s asymmetric driver-focussed fascia, the I-Pace’s dashboard curves around to encircle you in the driver’s seat. There’s an LCD instrument screen immediate ahead, and a larger infotainment screen at the top of the car’s cantilevered, architectural-looking centre stack which contains a smaller second touchscreen at a lower level.

This being a concept car, none of the screens are working – one of them displaying blinking lines of programming code that bring to mind Neo’s bad dream from The Matrix. Still, I can believe they’ll do the trick when they are on song, between them consolidating enough control functions to keep the rest of the fascia fairly uncluttered.

If this is a glimpse of Jaguar’s future on cabin design, it looks to be taking inspiration from its German competitors in some ways, making more of a design feature of its ventilation controls. They look like oversized watch bezels, and all the more decorative on an interior that’s otherwise very light on switchgear and fittings. There’s more chrome decoration on the I-Pace’s steering wheel and on its column stalks than I’m expecting, too. Perceived quality has been an area where Jaguar could improve for a long while now. It looks like they’re intending to.

Moving swiftly on. A small, square starter button and a three-button transmission control are all you need to ready the I-Pace for the off. This one’s been performing short demonstrations all day, and the genial chaps who’re managing it tell me they’ve been struggling to charge it between runs. I’ve no idea how much charge is in the batteries, and I’m told I’ll get a couple of runs up and down the 200-yard strip of tarmac we’re standing on before they have to take the keys away again. It’s not much to go on; less still when they tell me that this car only has one of its two electric motors on board and that it’s limited to 50mph.

Even so, it doesn’t struggle to get away from standing. Like most EVs, the I-Pace responds instantly to the merest prod of accelerator and zips up to town speeds with the easy flexibility of a one-tonne supermini. Jaguar won’t say how much the car weighs, but it must be considerably less than a Tesla Model X. With twice as much instant torque on tap as this, I can believe 60mph in 4.0sec may even be a pretty conservative target.
The car’s steering is heavy, its ride noisy and firm – but that’ll be the concept car factor in evidence again. Show cars always ride like trolleyjacks – especially when they’re on 23in alloy wheels. You can hear the friction in the car’s driveline; its steering and brake pedal feel like they’ve had no tuning at all.

But this part of the I-Pace’s driving experience isn’t at all representative of what we might expect of the finished car, and all it proves is how much effort goes into finishing Jaguar’s modern cars. The I-Pace uses the same double-wishbone & integral link suspension setup as the XE, XF and F-Pace, and all of those cars handle well enough to top their respective Autocar classes for keener drivers. That, combined with the favourably low centre of gravity that a floor-mounted battery will provide, is reason enough to expect great things when we get to drive the finished car.

Until then, Jaguar devotees can look forward to the familiar dripfeed of technical titbits over the next twelve months, as the I-Pace’s engineers get closer and closer to finalising its specification. A motor show debut for the production car is expected sometime in 2018, with the earliest deliveries expected the same year. It’ll be an ambitious schedule to keep to, and who knows whether it give us a car that’ll sell in its hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands. But it’ll certainly give us a real car – that much, it seems, can be depended on – and one whose prospect is now as enticing, to this tester, as it is interesting.

#40 ·
Silly Billy, it's a concept car :)
Mr Kacher will be accommodated in the production model surely ?
Here he is in a 5 Series

View attachment 42314

5-Series what? Looks like a Ford to me.

If JLR/Jaguar insist on producing handbags, sorry, cars aimed at miniature brainless Posh Spice-wannabes, they shouldn't invite anyone with a body mass index over 30, like their mate Fatboy Saunders, or two-metre Germans to test drive them - it's cruel.

To the i-Pace itself, this "test drive" event, no doubt hastily arranged in London's now derelict Olympic Park, on the back of the news getting out of Merton Council's diesel charge and pro-electric policy, was of a non-functional car, so just a PR event, to keep "Electric Jaguar" in the headlines, and get some mugs, over the 300 already, to put deposits down.

The production car won't arrive until the end of 2018, so we'll call that some time in 2019/20, even with Magna doing all the actual engineering and producing.

In the meantime, around late 2017, early 2018, Mercedes will launch their new GLE-Class SUV, so a competitor for this estimated €80,000 Jaguar, but it will have a plug-in hybrid with up to 100km battery-driven range, making these pure BEVs almost redundant, especially for those requiring an all-round vehicle, not just a city/weekend car.

Also, by the end of 2018, Mercedes will have on-sale their full-electric 'EQ' GLC-based SUV, similar size to the i-Pace, but with Mercedes quality, thoroughness of development, and no doubt cheaper, probably €50k-60k.

And that's just Mercedes.

Now would be good time to lean on VW(-Tata Motors) or the Chinese for a 'strategic merger' for JLR, before the sh*t really hits the fan.

#41 ·
Jaguar has unleashed its first electric vehicle – the Jaguar I-PACE – onto the streets for the first time.
I suppose the above is simply "spin"

The truth is told below :)

This one’s been performing short demonstrations all day, and the genial chaps who’re managing it tell me they’ve been struggling to charge it between runs.

I’ve no idea how much charge is in the batteries, and I’m told I’ll get a couple of runs up and down the 200-yard strip of tarmac we’re standing on before they have to take the keys away again.

#42 ·
Yup. That's not an iPace. It's not even a mule much less a pre-production prototype. It's a nothing.

One motor, not two. Max 50 km/hr. No range to speak of. This is what they call a teaser.

As you can tell from all the PR bumpf there is no market for EV outside of California. Even China is just kidding about all of this.

#45 ·
Correct, but they are taking orders, and it's probably tens of thousands of dollars cheaper than the i-Pace, given that car's reputed €80k price in Europe, and to my eyes, the Lucid looks much better, than the stumpy i-Pace, which looks more dog - Staffordshire bull terrier - than cat.

#46 ·
I'm biased (Obvs) but the Lucid looks a bit flash to me. The Jag looks stumpy because it is an SUV (supposedly). I don't like these electric cars that feel the need to make them look all sci-fi (the BMW range for example - soz - all those blue lights, no thanks). Lucid is going to be $100K + which doesn't sound cheaper than the Jag (the I-pace will max out at £75 I expect), although I expect the technology to be orders of magnitude better. I'll be looking end of 2020 so I'm expecting plenty of choice by then!

#47 ·
By that time all the "sci-fi" cars that you dislike will look old fashioned :)

I agree that the design of today's electric cars are a long way from the design I like but then I am probably fifty years older than the target market, those that have coloured hair, blue lips, tattoos, and various items of "body adornment" :)

#48 · (Edited)
Ian Callum said recently that the i Pace looks that way because this is the shape of the modern car, because the drivetrain and batteries require it to be this way. Specifically he said: "this is what the package gives you".

BEV are battery sleds. The battery weight and size dictate everything else. The motors are not sn issue since they are compact pods, cylindrical by their nature. The superficial lure of making the turbine powered car is actually achieved with electric motors. Except for the batteries.

The batteries ruin everything. They are the reason EV will never work. Unless somebody discovers an entirely new battery technology reducing volume and weight by 80%. Only then can you build a BEV that comes close to the feasibility of IC power.

#49 ·
Amazing how many people in here think that Powerpoint cars are real.

Everyone has a Powerpoint on how their EVs will beat Tesla.

But in the real world, it is Tesla that is outselling the S-class, the 7-series, etc and beating every Porsche and Ferrari road car on performance.

Today. In the hands of actual customers. Not on a powerpoint presentation.

#50 ·
PowerPoint maybe but look what the public think.

Jaguar has succeeded in raising interest surrounding its upcoming, all-electric I-PACE Concept offering.

The reactions on the small, all-electric SUV have been fantastic so far even, according to Jaguar.

Jaguar I-PACE Concept – Photon Red

The I-PACE Concept shines especially on the exterior design.

The 90 kWh battery, and all-wheel drive powertrain that provides 0-60 mph acceleration in ~4 seconds should ensure success.

Well, that is only if one last bit of unknown information is as impressive….the price. If it is, Jaguar will be well positioned for the future of mobility, at least when it comes to vehicles that plug-in.

Design Director Ian Callum said in a statement:
“The feedback on the I-Pace Concept has been fantastic.

With the I-Pace concept, we’ve torn up the rule book to create a vehicle with supercar-inspired aesthetics, sports-car performance and SUV space in one electric package.”

“Driving the concept on the streets is really important for the design team. It’s very special to put the car outside and in the real-world.

For me, the future of motoring has arrived.”

source:
WardsAuto

#51 ·
PowerPoint maybe but look what the public think.
I must say, that I'm actually quite smitten with the I-Pace. As I have said in other posts, I would really like to try to own an EV. I can see the I-Pace replace my wife's Mercedes B-Klasse. She likes a somewhat tall car, and it is always nice with a hatchback in the family. From time to time we need to transport something large. It could be a practical car as well as an enjoyable car. And if I keep my XF, we'll also have a car with a long range.

The styling of the I-Pace reminds me in many ways of the C-X75, which I think is one of the most beautiful cars, Jaguar has made in decades. Why on earth did that car not go into production? I would sell my house and my two healthy sons to be able to afford one. Did you see the James Bond "Spectre" movie, where it appeared? It was stunning. The Aston Martin DB10 concept car it was being chased by was right down awful compared to the Jaguar. Uninspired, unfinished, anonymous look against the personality and perfectly harmonic look of the C-X75.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.