XF Forum banner

BMW 5 series 2011 Manual or Jaguar XF 2011

11K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Vernonl 
#1 ·
I had a BMW 3 series (2000 reg) earlier which I replaced couple of years back for an Audi A4 2010 model.

I rented 3 series 2016 manual model few months back and I loved driving it.

I'm looking at upgrading my car (an executive saloon is my choice) - I love the looks of Jaguar XF (2011+) and wanted to own one for a very long time but in terms of driving pleasure, I would opt for BMW manual. I test drove Jaguar XF 2012 2.2 but wasn't very impressed , may be due to the auto shift - it didn't involve me as much as I would love to; tried test driving BMW 520d M Sport manual and loved it.

So the question is more around manual vs automatic, I love driving and I go on driving trips to Switzerland/France/Spain/Scotland from London, so the question is will I love automatic as I get used to it or if driving pleasure is the priority, is manual the one to go for ?

#2 ·
If you loved the 3 series, then why not get one of them?

Personally, and as much I quite like the 5 series, I wouldn't choose one over a similar aged/spec'd XF.

#4 ·
XF is my 1st auto - few years back, i said i would never get auto as was same as you :) but then saw XF (facelift, no offence guys ;)) and loved it from day 1, unfortunately wasn't in my reach at the time, so didn't even knew that there was no manual version. when time came i could afford it, wasn't convinced about no manual, but from first test drive i was converted - it is that good. zf8 is brilliant, as starkgr said - if you want control you got paddles, which are, imho, much better than stick ;)

#13 ·
Seems like you were in the exact same situation (both in terms of manual/auto and affordability, I am finding 2012/2013 models in my reach now), good to know. I'll try the paddle shift (will opt for XF 3.0) in my next test drive, thanks for the tip. Your reply was very helpful, thanks once again.

If you loved the 3 series, then why not get one of them?

Personally, and as much I quite like the 5 series, I wouldn't choose one over a similar aged/spec'd XF.
I've already had a 3 series, so sort of want to upgrade for a better looking car and I also need more rear and boot space. I might need this car only for 2-3 years and then I might have to opt for a SUV or so as my family would get bigger (with my kids and my parents), so if I don't go for an executive saloon now, I might never be able to opt for one in the future.

It is plain that you enjoy spirited driving, which the XF will allow, but with a manual gearbox. You know the way to go :)
Yes I know the recent model would suit better - New XF Manual 2016 but as I said earlier, I might only need it for couple of years or so, so I might lose a lot when I sell it, so thought I would instead play safe and go for 2012/2013 XF in which case I'll not lose much. Also my take is that most of the XF owners would prefer auto, so I would lose even more if I go for 2016 XF manual.

#9 ·
but the 3 series is ( or appears to be) a bit poxy, surely an XE would be a fairer comparison in terms of road presence?
it also depends on whether following the herd is an issue.

#10 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I'd go along with Bik3rz and say try a 3L DS, a completely different animal. If you like that then put it in Sport and Dynamic and try again and you will just love it. S+@t off a shovel springs to mind. Just be careful in the wet. :) Paddles are great by the way, almost instant changes and it blips the throttle for you on the downshift.

Good luck making a choice

#18 ·
It does and the whole point is to make it undetectable.

Rev matching is so exact these days there is no blip, the engine rpm are raised to exactly the required level for a perfect gear change. This applies to automatics, dct and manual shift with the rev matching feature.

The actual audible blip dates back to the days of double clutching which is now frowned upon as being harder on the synchros than no blip.

CVT of course do not need a blip of either sort.

#12 ·
Strange, I swear it blips the throttle to match the revs on the downshift. Oh well, someone who knows will be along soon to put us right. Meanwhile it's a good excuse for me to go for a blast Sunday to check it out :)

#20 ·
Back to the OP, I was in the same position 18 months ago and quite frankly tried them all but simply loved the XF to drive; auto for wafting around like an old pensioner* (sorry) ....... or manual mode with the paddles for enormous fun in a car that drives a lot smaller than its actual size. Best of both worlds. Even the wife admits to liking it....

*no old pensioners were hurt in the making of this post.....

#23 ·
Agreed "it drives smaller than it is". It never feels bigger than my previous Honda Accord even on small back roads. The only time I notice the size if when I come to park it and then it is a little tight in some carpark spaces. Same would apply to a BMW I would guess.

Let us know which way you jump.

#24 ·
agree with the bit about parking...... Reverse camera is almost essential for muppets like me.

#25 ·
Yes the reversing camera and sensors help a lot. I wouldn't be without them cos I'm a parking Muppet as well. I blame too many years on a motorbike for my lack of skill parking a car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.