XF Forum banner

Amazing: Huge Jaguar XE Discounts Ahead of USA Launch

11K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  jagular 
#1 ·
Not only has Jaguar prices the XE low and offered an unheard off "free" 5 year/60,000 mile warranty with "free" included, maintenance, they are now offering incredible incentives to simply "reserve" one, with a refundable $500 deposit.

Free Navigation plus first lease/finance payment of up to $800.00.

For a car that is yet to go on sale.

Things must be getting quite desperate. They must not be getting any orders and are running scared.

Great for buyers!!!!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Automotive design

See less See more
#3 ·
Of course it is great for buyers. That is why I ended up owning 3 XFs and most likely will end up with an XE or XF next. The prices and incentives that Jaguar is giving us is simply unreal.

If you are a Jaguar enthusiast and know how to make a good deal, it is unbelievable. Jaguar is pricing lower than the equivalent Ford and much lower than the equivalent BMW and Mercedes. The New XF is in fact (apples to apples) priced lower than the 3 series and the XE is much lower than the 2 series.

I think that the XE, XF, F-Pace are the most aggressively priced cars in the entire car industry in the USA right now. What you pay vs what you get is just insane.

As for long term, all indications are that Land Rover buyers will continue to subsidize Jaguar buyers ad infinitum. And that is just fine by me.

#4 ·
Or maybe Jaguar are passing on some of the windfall gains as a result of exchange rate movement since last year to stoke up demand whilst increasing margins?

#5 ·
Or maybe Jaguar are passing on some of the windfall gains as a result of exchange rate movement since last year to stoke up demand
That is the ***the*** issue. Why does Jaguar need to offer discounts and incentives for a brand new model? This is stuff you do for your *dog* products about to be phased out.

To me that is a sign that the alarm bells are ringing at Jaguar and they don't have enough orders from dealers to meet the units they have scheduled for production. In a brand new supposedly hottest Jaguar product launch in a decade.

It is great for US buyers. Not so great for Jaguar.

#7 ·
Is production depressed? They've just sold 50% more vehicles in February than the year before and are flat out building F-Paces for the launch. They're doubling the size of the engine plant. It doesn't look like they're worried about too much volume.
Clearly they are concerned about a marketing problem with the XE segment after the last effort, so I can understand why take up might be slow and incentives will help. But once people have driven the XE/New XF they won't look back. So Baron is right it's great for the US buyers - enjoy!

#8 · (Edited)
The new XF is priced about 5% higher than the old XF I bought three years ago. The Canuck buck is worth 50P or so today and was worth 65P in 2013. So the new XF is a lot cheaper now than then, as it is in the US.

Americans are living in cloud cuckoo land at the moment.

The British Pound has depreciated significantly against the US dollar as has the Canadian dollar. The US dollar is about 70P now and was as cheap as 60P in 2014. The Canuck buck has lost against the Pound also, though not by as much.

If the pricing commented on by our American friend has not been mainly due to exchange rates then there's something weird going on in Canada.

#9 ·
LOL. Interesting how new Land Rover models, produced in the same country, under the same currency, have huge wait lists and no discounts in the USA, while new Jaguar XF and spanking new Jaguar XE have huge incentives and discounts.

Yep. Clearly the evidence points to it being a currency problem. After all Land Rovers are built with Land Rover sterling and Jaguars are build with Jaguar sterling.

I'll enjoy the low prices provided by the Jaguar sterling exchange rate, subsidized by the Land Rover sterling.

#10 ·
I fail to see the relevance of the state of SUV sales to the state of car sales. The markets do not overlap which is why Jaguar and every other car maker is forced to build cars that look like trucks. These, oddly, compete with trucks that look like trucks in North America.

Were I in the market for a truck over here I'd buy a truck.

Mind you, Land Rover remains one of the few that actually builds trucks instead of cars that look like trucks. But then they invented the SUV while deluding themselves that they were building a farmer the truck his wife really wanted. That just got out of hand, as men often do when trying to please their women.

#11 ·
The XE has got off to a very bad start on the home market unfortunately,possibly due to several factors the main one being that the car is overpriced compared with Audi and BMW cars in the same sector. The launch stunt of suspending the car under a helicopter and flying it over the Thames in London was ridiculed by some of the motoring press and dimissed as a very expensive gimmick whilst dealers complained that there was no proper launch programme for them to attract buyers to the showrooms.Whatever the reasons the XE is not selling in anywhere near the numbers it should be and dealers have large volumes of unsold stock of now out of date models and new production of MY is being stored at several locations around the midlands. Hopefully Jaguar have learned some hard lessons and the XE sales failure will not be repeated with the F Pace very soon.

#13 ·
I can't imagine what "launch" event dealers were anticipating that was not satisfied by the launch event I attended at Marshalls of Peterborough. I could criticise the local management of the event but not the support provided by Jaguar. As it happens I did order an XE at the event which when I discovered the non availability of a petrol Ingeneum engine I cancelled and looked elsewhere.
I was happy to overlook the interior finish, less luxury than my XF, on the basis it was aimed at the high volume company car market which I was happy to accept. At the time the price, I thought was fine thinking it was future priced. At the time the new XF had not been announced, certainly not the price, but had it been I suspect I might have thought the XE was too much compared with the competition.

#12 ·
Well, if the XE interior is not better than the new XF interior, and I understand it to be worse, then there is a problem with that in my estimation.

Sitting in the showroom car, a brand new 2016 XF, did not cause me to want to drive it. The interior of my 2013 XF has better seats, better leather and a more inviting interior.

I am hoping the black headliner (white car, dark grey leather and black headliner, why do people like to drive in the dark?) was the main cause but I am sceptical.

Too bad if the first impression puts off buyers if the drive is supposed to be so much better. Buyers may not get that far before writing off the new model on interior style. The hood/radiator surround shutline is also a problem, the gap is too big. The XE is supposed to be identical in that regard.

The seats really are an issue unless they are better to drive from than to merely sit in. I think the showroom car had bond leather rather than the soft leather even though it was badged S, supposedly the one you want.

By the time you add the options that should be included here like heated seats and so on the car seems overpriced to me, and that's the XF.

#16 ·
Having been in Co Car schemes for decades ( and now bailing) I'd be flabbergasted and gutted if my outfit now introduced XEs.
that said, I cannot imagine that JLR will get anywhere near the price points of the likes of the 3 series...let alone Hyundais, Fords etc that the fleet providers would be demanding.
the end of life residuals may be bang on the money but what about the initial outlay?

#19 ·
Customers in the XE segment, specially in very competitive markets like the US, are used to an unprecedented level of choices. Jaguar simply doesn't have them on offer - so they are relegated to fighting the war by discounting and incentives.

If you walk into a BMW dealer looking for a vehicle in the XE size class, you can have it 4-door, 2-door, convertible, etc, with engines ranging from 200HP to 500HP. If you want one slightly smaller you have the 2 series again with coupe, convertible, and engines ranging from 200HP to 365HP.

Whatever BMW model you choose, you have captive BMW finance and leasing ready to go and extremely competitive.

You walk into the Jaguar showroom and you can only have in 4-doors, and only 2 gasoline engines, with financing only available via 3rd-party banks.

Would you be excited about going to a restaurant that only had one dish on the menu, and only two options for sides?

#20 ·
A reasonable man adjusts his opinion to accommodate new evidence.

I was quite disappointed with the interior of the 2016 XF when I first laid eyes on it yesterday.

It will have to drive very well to compensate for the cost savings evidenced in the interior design and finishes. The "wood" trim was just awful, for example. The leather seemed lower quality than the bond grain in my first XF which was $15K cheaper 8 years ago.

I will be down at the dealership again before long and will take a more careful look.

#21 ·
I'm not sure, that Jaguar is in a panic as such. I think Jaguar in many ways is in the same situation as Pepsi Cola vs. Coca Cola or Apple computer vs. Windows PC's some years ago. No matter how good the product from Jaguar people don't really consider buying a Jaguar. Most people prefer the German brands, and in the US probably some Japanese and perhaps American brands. I don't know the American market well. I have myself tried to suggest a Jaguar to people looking to buy a new car, but most people won't even consider it. They don't know much about Jaguar. They have a vague idea about Jaguars being very expensive, but they don't really look into prices, models, options and so on. They know the other mostly German brands, and they choose between those without looking to Jaguar's side.

So what Jaguar is doing, and probably needs to do, is exactly what Pepsi Cola and Apple Computer did many years ago. Make their brand recognizable and well known, so people at least consider buying a Jaguar. That's probably the main reason for all the incentives to buy a Jaguar on the American market. To win the race, first you have to be part of the race. So Jaguar needs to get people into the showrooms. And Jaguar needs to sell some cars. If people see Jaguars on the streets, and if happy owners recommend Jaguars to other people, it will really help sales. Success breeds success. But if you never see a Jaguar in the streets, and if you never meet someone who owns a Jaguar, Jaguar disappears from your mind, and you won't consider buying one.

#23 ·
No matter how good the product from Jaguar people don't really consider buying a Jaguar. Most people prefer the German brands, and in the US probably some Japanese and perhaps American brands.
I hear what you are saying, but at the turn of the century Americans were buying four times as many Jaguars as they are buying now, in a total US premium car market that was 1/2 as large as it is now. Meaning that Jaguar premium car market share was 700% higher not that long ago.

So clearly Americans know about and were fond of Jaguars.

What has happened is that Jaguar lost competitiveness, particularly after 2008. Jaguar completely abandoned racing. Their engine line up completely stagnated. Their sports car credentials cratered - just a sample measure: the E-type was lighter than the Corvette and on par with the 911 of the 60s, the F-type is 800-1,000 lbs heavier than the current Corvette and 911.

The way to fix Jaguar is obvious. An alliance or acquisition by a tier 1 auto group, to gain access to modern powertrains, lightweight platforms, safety modeling, electrification systems, financing, etc.

Look what happened to Porsche after its alliance (then merger) with VW. Watch what will happen to Aston with their alliance with AMG. Marvel at what happened to Rolls after the Germans took it over. That is what is needed.

In the meantime, Americans will continue to find Jaguar lots full of cars to be taken on the spot at ridiculously low prices.

Loving it.

#22 ·
I checked Jaguars Canadian web site and built an XF. Prices have not increased here. The base list price for the 2016 is essentially identical to that asked in 2008. So 8 years of improvements and no price increase. Optioning up any modern car adds to the price rapidly. A base 2016 XF is a desirable car and no options are needed to make it so. You can add $20K in options quite easily.

#27 ·
As I said before - from the turn of the century till the 2008 sale to Tata, Jaguar enjoyed the highest sales volume ever in the USA.

So yes, the highest ever sales volume for Jaguar in the USA and worldwide were during the Ford ownership period. You know that period that created the XF, that you own :)

#28 ·
And as I said before that was because Ford screwed over the brand.

You are in effect saying the 300,000 plus X Types were evidence of Ford's success with the brand. Really?

#29 ·
Jaguar was a financial disaster for Ford, and every company or group who has owned it since the late 60s, including the British government.

But Ford was a blessing for Jaguar. Night and day improvements in reliability, powertrains, Formula-1, XJ220, XF, increased volumes, etc all happened under Ford.

Jaguar would have gone the way of MG and Rover if it was not for Ford.

And that is what Jaguar still needs. Another alliance or take over by yet another auto group willing to lose billions to make it right.

#30 ·
Baron, I'm not saying Jaguar wouldn't benefit from an alliance or that they didn't benefit from Ford ownership, but I do wonder how many billions is enough billions? £11 billion had been invested (not including the purchase price I believe) in JLR by 2015 and I doubt that has slowed down what with the new engine plants etc. This is one of those occasions when thinking about Jaguar as a small manufacturer is inappropriate since Jaguar is just a small part of JLR (yes JLR might be comparatively small compared with VW but it is not insubstantial). Often you infer that there is some sort of problem with the Tata ownership, but I've never understood why that might be problem or why anyone cares who the investors are?

#34 ·
Often you infer that there is some sort of problem with the Tata ownership, but I've never understood why that might be problem or why anyone cares who the investors are?
There is no problem with Tata ownership. Except that no major advanced automotive group will enter into any technology sharing agreement with Tata. Even Ford refuses to provide any technology beyond what existed at the time of the sale and under contractual obligations.

Yes, the investments made under Tata (using the Land Rover sales and profits) have been positive. But for Jaguar, the pace is too slow. Jaguar is not catching up to the leaders - it is falling further behind. It is completely behind in advanced turbocharged petrol engines and electric/hybrid drive. It is completely disconnected from motorsports. Jaguar fuel economy ratings on the V6/V8 petrol engines is 30% worse than the competition. That is not small.

Good or bad, Ford contributed a ton of technology to Jaguar (like the Ecoboost engines it uses). Tata contributions in terms of technology has been zero. And will be zero forever. Actually it is a negative contribution, because no one trusts the Tata's to make technology deals with them. Had Jaguar been privately owned (like Aston), they could make technology alliances (like Aston did with AMG). You have no idea how despised Tata (and the Tatas) are by the global automotive execs.

#31 ·
Actually, it was a bunch of private investors who turned Jaguar around, using very little money to do so. Ford bought a very good Jaguar, then invested millions in it and screwed it over with abysmally poor design and marketing decisions.

Even the first XF suffered from their ante diluvian ways.

Remarkably, Ford learned from the mistakes and their current line up benefits enormously from the European design and engineering expertise Ford top management have grudgingly been forced to accept by the market. Compare an early North American Ford Focus (truly horrible little car) to its equivalent European design (one of the best little cars ever made ) to understand this point.

GM has also plundered its foreign design and engineering expertise: Vauxhall, Opel, SAAB and Holden are the reason GM is still here.

Mercedes and now FIAT are the reasons Chrysler is still viable.

Name any automotive innovation in design, marketing or engineering from the US to compare. And don't say Tesla, that is just a washing machine on wheels.

#36 ·
Since Ford lost so much money when it owned Jaguar why would Jaguar look to Ford for technology advice?

Ford of England easily found more than 10% additional power from that supposedly state of the art American Mustang turbo four we keep hearing about.

Britain leads the World in automotive engineering and has for decades now.

Jaguar has access to all of that talent if it wishes. North America doesn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.