Lack of support for seats [Archive] - Jaguar XF Forum

: Lack of support for seats

BigAndy
29-07-09, 21:50
For discussion:

The most disappointing item on my XF is the seats. They look good, feel nice and smell nice. However they offer little or no lateral support. When cornering or using a roundabout at a brisk (I don't do fast) speed I am thrown across the car by sliding across the leather seats. Mrs BigAndy has the same problem in the passenger seat without the benefit of the steering wheel yo hang onto! What happened to the good bucket seats offered on the SV8/XFR? They should at least be an option on the 3.0 litre models. :cry:

My company car (Astra) has more supportive seats as does the lovely (1970s) P6 Rover I drove last week. :o

Be honest apart from the adjustability, heating etc of the fitted seats, don't you think Jaguar could have fitted more supportive seats to match the performance of a car like this? When you consider the development thay have done on the overall handling they have let us down by a potentially dangerous lack of support for the driver & passengers when cornering. I think Jaguar may have to look at some sort of alacantara /cloyh insert to the seat to increase friction between the drivers bottom and the seat cover... discuss :idea:

philayl
29-07-09, 22:02
Have to admit I haven't slid across the seat at any time, bum has stayed firmly planted!

xfswede
29-07-09, 22:23
I absolutely agree that the lateral support is lacking.
I hear that there is some sort of interior pack with "R" seats without the "R" now, but that doesn't help me.

I don't think it is a deal braker though.
I would have the same car again despite the seats.

penultimateblack
29-07-09, 22:30
Have to admit I haven't slid across the seat at any time, bum has stayed firmly planted!

I find the driver's seat comfortable and supportive laterally. Perhaps the shape of my rear end is Jaguar friendly! The cooled seats, with their secondary frames and the cushion length adjustment on the Portfolio driver's seat, are a big improvement on my original 2.7D PL.

twosheds
29-07-09, 23:16
I have the 2.7 Premium Luxury and the seats are awful, both for lateral support but even more for lumber support. I find them very uncomfortable on long journeys and now have to use an old towel (folded) for the small of my back.

I appreciate not everyone is going to have the problem I have but Jaguar should have a lumber adjustment as standard on a 43000 car. Volvo do for a lot less money!

I only hope the XFR seats are better - not that I am about to order one :(

pekem
29-07-09, 23:26
For discussion:

The most disappointing item on my XF is the seats. They look good, feel nice and smell nice. However they offer little or no lateral support. When cornering or using a roundabout at a brisk (I don't do fast) speed I am thrown across the car by sliding across the leather seats. Mrs BigAndy has the same problem in the passenger seat without the benefit of the steering wheel yo hang onto! What happened to the good bucket seats offered on the SV8/XFR? They should at least be an option on the 3.0 litre models. :cry:

My company car (Astra) has more supportive seats as does the lovely (1970s) P6 Rover I drove last week. :o

Be honest apart from the adjustability, heating etc of the fitted seats, don't you think Jaguar could have fitted more supportive seats to match the performance of a car like this? When you consider the development thay have done on the overall handling they have let us down by a potentially dangerous lack of support for the driver & passengers when cornering. I think Jaguar may have to look at some sort of alacantara /cloyh insert to the seat to increase friction between the drivers bottom and the seat cover... discuss :idea:

That's a bit strong Andy :!: If ever you feel you are in danger, the remedy is simple; fit the XFR seats or better, buy an XFR.
I, like you "don't do fast" and in the short period that I have had my Portfolio, lack of support in the seats has never crossed my mind. Maybe, I too have a Jaguar friendly a***e :)

chesterfield
30-07-09, 10:44
Coming from a car with sports seats, the latteral support (or lack thereof) is a concern for me, though I have to say I didnt notice it was agreat issue on the test drive. That being said, I didnt throw it round any twisties on the test drive either.

Although I'm not particularly buying the XF for its sporting credentials, it would be nice to know that when the moment comes for a bit of spirited driving, I wont be sliding around.

thatchamcat
30-07-09, 12:10
The only problem I have with the seats is my phone frequently slides off in fast corners.
I could always put it in one of the cubby holes, but I prefer to blame it on poor design ;)

TimXF
30-07-09, 12:34
I have my XF LP now for 4 weeks and find the seat uncomfortable. Where it gets me is in the area where ones trouser belt is located, on the seat there is a ridge of stitching where two leather panels meet that is proud of the rest of the seet and digs in as does the one on horizontal part of the seat. I find after and hour I am fidgetting around to get comfortable and constantly adjudting the seat. My previous car a BMW notorious for hard seats I have to say was more comfortable and certainly had more lateral support as I too have slid of the seat.

Other than that 4 weeks in - nothing needs fixing (except the blue tooth but that's my phone!) and the car is a joy to drive and sooo quiet. :D

Steamdreamer
30-07-09, 18:20
Surely lumbar support is standard on the PL - it certainly is on mine!

pekem
30-07-09, 19:28
When cornering or using a roundabout at a brisk (I don't do fast) speed I am thrown across the car by sliding across the leather seats.

I too have slid off the seat.

"Thrown across the car" "I too have slid off the seat"

When it is put like that, it seems that there is an horrendous problem with the seats on your cars. It would be great to have a video camera mounted along side you both, to capture the action, and then you could post a clip on YouTube :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigAndy
31-07-09, 19:28
I stand by my comments, the seats are not upto the standard I expect from a 40K luxury car withn sporting pretensions. If I by the S (sport) model can't I expect sports seats. :(

BigAndy
31-07-09, 19:29
PS Sorry about the spelling above, should have previewed it!

philayl
31-07-09, 19:47
I stand by my comments, the seats are not upto the standard I expect from a 40K luxury car withn sporting pretensions. If I by the S (sport) model can't I expect sports seats. :(
As I said earlier, seat is fine for me, I actually sit in it, not on it, so no slide. Is yours the cooled seat, I believe they are a bit harder, mine are the standard Luxury ones and mine has "worn in" very nicely, a bit like Homer Simpsons settee! ;)

twosheds
31-07-09, 21:19
I agree with you BigAndy - how can it be a "sport" variant yet not the sports seats?

I would imagine Jaguar dealers are bemused by that, and probably get some comments as well from anyone who cares to study the brochure.

Stevie
31-07-09, 23:39
For me they're perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the car.

Boo
03-08-09, 20:47
I went for a test drive today in an 3.0D S and have to agree that I found the seats lacked the lateral support that I'm used to with my current car. I too was sliding about, and this without any particularly 'spirited' driving!

When I mentioned this to the salesman he confirmed that the XFR seats are available as a 1500 option (on PL & Portfolio - 2K on L).

Have to say, I found the rest of the experience very impressive and have moved the XF to the top of my list.

Very very very tempted!

pekem
03-08-09, 21:35
Welcome to the Forum Boo :)
Now go back and buy one; You know you will :lol:
As for the seats; I think they are fine. They do need to be customised with regard to the seat squab angle and back support etc. Worth trying it to discover the difference it makes :)

twosheds
03-08-09, 21:55
Sorry Pekem but I disagree. Obviously seating is going to be a different experience for different bodies (!) but the standard seats are very disappointing in terms of shape.

I do back you in saying buy the car, and if you feel that the sports seats would be better then order them. It is just a shame that you have to pay extra for something that shouldn't be a problem for any potential purchaser.

:(

Boo
03-08-09, 22:18
Thanks for the welcome Pekem - I was certainly more than a little taken by the XF!

I admit I didn't spend much time adjusting the seat - I was too eager to get cracking with the driving - so I probably could have got it a bit better.

I think one of the main problems is I that I have had a car for the last 3 years which had sports seats and I'm just used to that sort of snug feel. Unfortunately, the dealer didn't have a XFR in stock today for me to try, but they will have one by tomorrow so I'm going to nip back in to have a sit in that.

It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker to go with the standard seats - I was just aware of moving about more than I would ideally like!

twosheds
04-08-09, 19:55
Well don't sit in that XFR for too long..... people have been known to get it one and never come out..... :o

Steamdreamer
27-12-09, 17:13
Surely 'Ex' calibur, greenie?

greenie
27-12-09, 18:53
Surely 'Ex' calibur, greenie?
How did you know?? :mrgreen:

Steamdreamer
27-12-09, 21:36
Probably just a lucky guess!

vmstat
27-12-09, 21:44
My dealer didn't say anything (wise man...) but I saw his face when I opted for the S version just for the seats (which are also an extra...)

In my test drive I sticked to legal speeds and didn't try to do fast cornering or similar, but my *ss moved a bit. I think the seats' shape is not the problem, but that they come with leather and the combination is a somehow less supportive than it should.

Then I sat in an XFR. I knew immediately I wanted those seats. I was afraid of turning the engine on in case I wanted the car too! :D

With all said, it is not a huge issue. Really. In my particular case, it's more that I have tried to avoid missing the XFR seats in the future rather than a real issue with standard seats... ;)

bjmar
29-12-09, 15:38
Sorry Pekem, but I too agree with most of the posts on this thread. My 3.0 PL standard seats lack lateral support and the leather does make it easier to "slip" slightly when cornering in anything other than a sedate manner.
I did try the XFR seats and found them to be fantastic, but when I bought my car they were not even an option.
I would highly recommend them though as it would make the car "perfect" in my humble opinion. ;)

greenie
29-12-09, 16:43
Sorry Pekem, but I too agree with most of the posts on this thread. My 3.0 PL standard seats lack lateral support and the leather does make it easier to "slip" slightly when cornering in anything other than a sedate manner.
I did try the XFR seats and found them to be fantastic, but when I bought my car they were not even an option.
I would highly recommend them though as it would make the car "perfect" in my humble opinion. ;)
bjmar, this is MORE than a humble opinion. It should be the ONLY opinion! :)